Tire and rim swap between 2 camrys

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 07:40 PM
Enthusiast
Question Tire and rim swap between 2 camrys

Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster....

I have 2 Camrys. A 2007 THC and a 2008 SE. I'm travelling to Disneyland tommorow and I want to drive the Hybrid (of course!) but the tires are worn down to the tread wear indicator. My question is whether I can swap out the tires from my SE for the trip. I know the bolt pattern is the same, but I'm not sure about resetting the pressure sensors in the rims(I would still like to know if my tires are running low on air!).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tire and rim swap between 2 camrys

The TCH has a small button turned sideways just inside the glove compartment. It's on the left front side of the box with the door open. With the engine started try holding that button in for a few seconds. That should reset the cars tire sensor receiver to the new tire pressures.

All though don't know how the sensors work from one set of wheels, tires sensors to the other.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info! I figured there was a reset button, but as you said, I'm curious whether the sensors are interchangeable between vehicles.

Guess theres one way to find out!

Old 08-20-2008, 11:56 PM

Actually the reset button is used after you change your tire pressure up or down very much. If you have your rims/tires changed to the TCH at a tire shop, ask about about tire pressure senders.

Most tire shops have a instrument they use after rotation to change each sensor so it will read as a front tire and not a rear.

I have had my tires rotated on the TCH a few times and asked them not to use the sensor instrument. Their was about a $20 extra charge for that service. I don't know if the tire warning shows which tire might be low or not. It don't matter to me, if I see the yellow (!) come on I will sure pull to the shoulder.

Last edited by rburt07; 08-21-2008 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:41 AM
Enthusiast

Just finished the swap in my garage with an impact wrench, torque wrench and a friend (only took about 20 min!). The indicator light did not come on after running the car for several minutes. Just to be sure, I took a 3 mile drive around the neighborhood and still no light. I'm assuming now that the sensors are universal (at least between like models). And I suspect the TPMS reciever on my car simply "assumed" the signal from the new rims and tires as I did not have to hit the reset button.

Anyway, it's off to Disneyland tommorow in the only TCH on the road with SE rims!

Old 08-22-2008, 11:18 AM

What you did will not work.

The set of 4 TPMS is registered to a specific car's ECU. It takes a ECU programming tool to register different sensors to each car.

Just drive the car to Disneyland and your dashboard light will light up. Who cares! The sensor is just to give you an indication that you have a problem, so you just have to be more dilligent on making sure your tires are filled correctly before your trip.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Professional Hacker

Which Disneyland did you go to? The one here in beautiful Sunny Southern California? or the other one in that retirement community they call florida?

Old 08-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Any pics with the SE wheels?

Old 09-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flopshot
What you did will not work.

The set of 4 TPMS is registered to a specific car's ECU. It takes a ECU programming tool to register different sensors to each car.

Just drive the car to Disneyland and your dashboard light will light up. Who cares! The sensor is just to give you an indication that you have a problem, so you just have to be more dilligent on making sure your tires are filled correctly before your trip.
That is 100% corrrect. The new sensors will not be recognized by the ECU until the ECU is synch'd with the new sensors. After enough miles, your light will go on to let you know the ECU is not recognizing the sensors.