Tools for TCH

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 10:50 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tools for TCH

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
There are NO SAE fasteners on the Camry. There are very few SAE fasteners on ANY car produced and sold here anymore. For the torx, everything from a T10 to a T50 will cover most everything on the Camry. Instead of T handles, use a bit set in a driver dimensioned fasteners, and handle for the smaller sizes and a 3/8 socket on the larger ones. Do the same with hex bits also. The hex bits are used for fill and drain plugs in several places.

If you have the room, add a set of hose clamp pliers, spare hose clamps, a small pick set, spare headlight bulb and, if your wife or daughter drives the car, a torque multiplier to enable them to change a flat easily.
David,

Thanks. (especially for suggesting the Torx sizes) I think I'm getting close to the end of this quest.

You might think that I live under a rock, but I usually keep my cars 15 to 20 or even 30 years; so not only the car I came out of for the TCH but also both of the other cars I still own have lots of SAE dimensioned fasteners, and I truly did not know how pervasive the metric stuff had become. Hence my question. Thanks for giving the clear and unequivocal answer. That will lighten my load.

I'm with you on the "torque multiplier." Wife and daughter, heck. I myself do not have the fortitude to fight impact-installed lug nuts using the lug nut wrench they give us with the car. So I normally carry a cross bar.

On the other hand, I will fight and curse the hose clamps using channel locks. And then after I'm done, memory fades and I'm still too cheap to buy the hose clamp pliers. Go figure.

Last edited by Smilin' Jack; 01-30-2010 at 10:56 PM. Reason: completeness
Old 01-31-2010, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

That same basic set of tools will work on almost any car on the road today and is what I have in the trunk of all our cars. The truck has a slightly different tool set but is still enough to be able to do fairly major repairs if needed.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:16 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thanks to Steve, David and Dave, the TCH tool kit is just about set, now.

I'm still eager to hear from someone who notices that we missed something, or from someone who has discovered some tool good to have on hand specifically for the TCH.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:51 AM
Enthusiast

I also keep a torque wrench (mainly for tightening the lugnuts) and a breaker bar.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:00 AM
Pragmatist

Originally Posted by Skier0123
I also keep a torque wrench (mainly for tightening the lugnuts) and a breaker bar.
Ah, yes. I keep the torque wrench at home. It doesn't fit in the bag.

I have thought about carrying an impact wrench, but all of mine need more air compressor than I want to stow.

This looks interesting:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=120516095748