Toyota Parts Dept.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Toyota Parts Dept.

I did it when it was cool, have had no issues.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Professor Emeritus

Thanks for the quick reply. I plan to change it first thing in the AM.

Regards,

AJ
2008 TCH

Old 02-18-2011, 04:38 PM

I used a piece of tubing from the engine compartment going down into the fill hole to fill it back up. Just stick it into the fill hole and add fluid slowly or it will run out. Seemed like an easier way to fill because you could stand up and fill it. Someone else gave me that tip on here. Also make sure to remove the fill plug first in case there is a problem getting it loose. Good luck.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Oil expands when heated so what the instructions are telling you is that the fill level should be no higher than 5mm BELOW the fill plug with the fluid heated up to operational temperature.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Professor Emeritus

Thanks to all for the input. I got it done. It was really easy. One thing was strange though. There was either a vacuum or pressure inside the case. I broke the fill plug loose first and heard hissing as I was removing the plug (cold). I had to wait for about 30 seconds for all the pressure to release.

The old fluid was brown with a little red tint to it. It smelled fine. Nothing like burnt transmission oil. But, it definitely had lots of stuff in it to be that brown. I'm glad I took the time to do it. My thanks to those who posted about this possible problem in this forum and the Prius forum.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:57 PM

Gave me some peace of mind to get mine changed, and it was easy to change. How many miles was on yours? Glad you had no problems.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:34 AM
2009TCH w/NAV bought 4/08

Originally Posted by dg370
Special training per the service manuel:

1- Drain fluid
2- Make sure vehicle is level
3- Install fluid to within 5mm of opening
4- Drive vehicle
5- Make sure fluid level is within 5mm of opening

Do you think the dealer techs are going to do step #4 & 5?

Some people can't follow complex instructions and should leave service repair to the pros.
I hope nobody is dumb enough to follow those instructions in the manual to the letter:
differential filler plug opening.
NOTICE:
• Stop the vehicle on a flat road.
• Recheck the transaxle fluid level after driving
when exchanging fluid.

"But officer, the instructions said to stop on the road! It's not my fault I'm blocking traffic. I have to check the fluid level!"

Nobody ever accused manual writers (or is it translators) of intelligence. It could have been worse, I guess. It could have been translated from Chinese by a Chinese "translator":
"While the road is not unlevel, automobile car should been stopped expeditiously and the level of the liquid in question must be insured to be 5mm below from the bottom of the inner position while not driving or danger might be occurred"