Trading in Murano for TCH

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Trading in Murano for TCH

The Altima Hybrid uses eCVT as well. I think it's the same as toyota's and not their other cars.

http://build.nissanusa.com/configura...007:alt&bs=alh

Old 08-06-2007, 07:02 PM
TCH 2007 newbie May 07

I think it's called a PSD, power split device, which can mix and much power input from the ICE and the electrics..very simple design and will probably last forever. Thank you Toyota.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Camry Freak

Originally Posted by spgdxb

Finally, I read that the '08 hybrids are coming out. The car I test drove was an '07 fully loaded with the nav and all. Would it be wise to wait for the '08 model, or is it all going to be the same?
The 2007s and 2008s are pretty much the same. The only difference is that they are lowering the price by about $1000- but they are also deleting some of the standard equipment too.

Alloy wheels, leather on the wheel and shifter, and the 6 disc changer are now optional. (There might be one or two more things, but I can't think of them off the top of my head). So if you are thinking of buying the "base" model, and don't really need the wheels, changer, or leather on the wheel/shifter- I would wait for a 2008... it will also give you a higher return when you want to sell it.

If you want a fully loaded model with nav, leather seats with heaters, moonroof, and everything else, it may be better to get a 2007. Whether you can get a better deal on a 2007 is dependant on the individual dealer. Most dealers in my area only have a few (1-3) 2007 hybrids left, and they aren't really dealing too much on them. $1000-$1500 under sticker.

Good luck! I highly suggest that you pick the Blue Ribbon color if possible.

P.S. Before you sign the final papers, make sure the center console on your Camry doesn't rattle.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:31 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07CamHybrid
The 2007s and 2008s are pretty much the same. The only difference is that they are lowering the price by about $1000- but they are also deleting some of the standard equipment too.

Alloy wheels, leather on the wheel and shifter, and the 6 disc changer are now optional. (There might be one or two more things, but I can't think of them off the top of my head). So if you are thinking of buying the "base" model, and don't really need the wheels, changer, or leather on the wheel/shifter- I would wait for a 2008... it will also give you a higher return when you want to sell it.

If you want a fully loaded model with nav, leather seats with heaters, moonroof, and everything else, it may be better to get a 2007. Whether you can get a better deal on a 2007 is dependant on the individual dealer. Most dealers in my area only have a few (1-3) 2007 hybrids left, and they aren't really dealing too much on them. $1000-$1500 under sticker.

Good luck! I highly suggest that you pick the Blue Ribbon color if possible.

P.S. Before you sign the final papers, make sure the center console on your Camry doesn't rattle.

Thanks, I'll look make sure it doesn't rattle. As for the color, as you said, there are not many on the lot..so will have to see what's available.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:44 AM
Dazed and Confused

IMPO, the toyota hybrid transmissions should last forever. There are no gears changing which causes wear, there is no torque converter to go bad and shed metal, there really is not parts that would create a problem other than the gears that are in constant contact.

I don't care for the CVT transmissions that use belts as I feel they have a bunch of friction and thus a bunch of wear. I also don't like conventional transmissions as the constant shifting causes shock loading on the gears and the torque converters are terrible for energy transmission and they are usually the point of failure for most transmissions.

The power split device is an extremly elegant way to fix these problems. Also very simple, but it requires two power sources to work. If you loose one, then it won't work.

My only concern with the TCH's longevity is the traction battery, I have no fears for any other component.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

The traction battery should last the life of the vehicle. I read somewhere that no battery has been replaced under normal use (accidents excluded)

Old 08-19-2007, 09:39 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spgdxb
I currently own a 2004 Nissan Murano SL FWD and am done dealing with Nissan and their BS. I went and test drove a TCH over the weekend and really liked it.
Finally, I read that the '08 hybrids are coming out. The car I test drove was an '07 fully loaded with the nav and all. Would it be wise to wait for the '08 model, or is it all going to be the same?
The pricing difference between the two is negligible - Toyota removed $1,000 worth of features to get a lower 'base' price for 2008 but practically any package you buy (nav, leather, moonroof, etc) will add those features back and cost $1,000 more than the similar package on the 2007 model for a net wash on price.

One thing to consider is resale value. If you trade in cars every couple of years (Your Murano is only a few years old) that one year model year difference can be worth quite a bit. According to Kelly Blue Book, three years out that one year difference can make the resale value of the 'newer' car $1600 greater than for a car one model year older with the same features and mileage. By ten years the difference drops to a few hundred dollars. You might save a couple hundred bucks now by purchasing an "old" 2007 and later pay a thousand or more in 2010 when you trade it in to buy a new car.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:57 AM
Enthusiast

I had a 2004 Murano SL AWD which I turned in at 43,000 miles on a 36 month lease back in February 07 for my TCH. I had no issues with my Murano CVT & sorry to hear of your issue.

Comparing the CVTs I found no difference in performance, both are smooth. The "shift" between electric and gas engines takes some getting used to as rather than feel the transmission you feel a shudder when the engines shift. At 11200 miles on my TCH this seems to becoming more pronouced so I will be speaking with Toyota Service on my next visit.

I thought I'd miss the Murano's cargo space but I don't... even with a small trunk space, fold down seats and way too small pass-through I get stuff home OK.

If you have other Murano v. TCH questions let me know... I am overall delighted with my TCH and the fact that I'm averaging close to 38mpg is 1.75 times better than the 21.5mpg I used to get with my Murano.

Good Luck!

Old 08-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Trading in Murano for TCH

Originally Posted by tjd24
I had a 2004 Murano SL AWD which I turned in at 43,000 miles on a 36 month lease back in February 07 for my TCH. I had no issues with my Murano CVT & sorry to hear of your issue.

Comparing the CVTs I found no difference in performance, both are smooth. The "shift" between electric and gas engines takes some getting used to as rather than feel the transmission you feel a shudder when the engines shift. At 11200 miles on my TCH this seems to becoming more pronouced so I will be speaking with Toyota Service on my next visit.

I thought I'd miss the Murano's cargo space but I don't... even with a small trunk space, fold down seats and way too small pass-through I get stuff home OK.

If you have other Murano v. TCH questions let me know... I am overall delighted with my TCH and the fact that I'm averaging close to 38mpg is 1.75 times better than the 21.5mpg I used to get with my Murano.

Good Luck!
I think I was one of the "lucky" ones, Tom! Oh well, it's all done now. I traded in my Murano for a Magnetic Metallic Gray TCH and I absolutely love it. I am quite not up to 38mpg yet, but gaining ground every week (I am at 35.6mpg last I checked. It's been 2 weeks).

Similar to you, I thought I would miss the space of the Murano that I had gotten so used to. But being single, you don't really miss all that much. There are options that I had in Murano that I don't have in the TCH and vice-versa. So it all works out.

It is a little hard to get used to the initial shudder, but I reckon I'll get used to it over time. The "metal-to-the-pedal" attitude is already seeing a big change, so I expect that should help my mpg's as well.

Thank you all for all your help with my questions. It was all definitely insightful, useful, and helpful. Makes me wonder how people bought cars before forums!

Suchit