Uh, Guys? Change your transmission oil.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Uh, Guys? Change your transmission oil.

Originally Posted by Mainer
Maybe it is just a waste of money but at 60K I flushed my coolant and changed the tranny fluid. I figure I put enough $$ up front to buy it that a little extra TLC won't hurt. Peace of mind I guess.
+1 on this service. I just did the 55,000 mile oil change and at 60,000 I plan on changing the power split device, hybrid drive coolant, brake fluid and PS fluid. Usually, the 80,000 mile mark is when timing belts (the TCH has a chain..YEA..), water pumps, radiator hoses, heater hoses, engine coolant, vacuum hoses, plugs, plug wires (if equiped) and belts get changed.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:39 PM
TCH 2007 newbie May 07

electric p/s, no fluid, so don't be taken

Old 02-23-2010, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ed_T
electric p/s, no fluid, so don't be taken
Ed, you are correct on the TCH but I do this same schedule for all 9 cars that I do maintenance on. The rest of them have PS fluid but at least I don't need to change the hybrid system coolant for them.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:30 PM
Along for the ride.....

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
+at 60,000 I plan on changing the power split device and hybrid drive coolant, .

How much work is this? (big bucks?) Is this per Toyota or for peace of mind?

Thanks

Old 02-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

If I do them, about an hour to an hour and half for both and a cost of about $80. Toyota will be quite a bit higher....

Old 04-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'm going to change my fluid tonight or tomorrow. Purchased 4 quarts @ $7 a quart at Toyota. I am interested to see how the old fluid looks and smells. I have right at 50,000 miles. That is twice as long as I run my tranny fluid in my truck. Purchased the 1/2" tubing last night and printed the helpful info from here.

Thanks everyone!

Old 04-02-2010, 04:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UWAdventurer
...I am interested to see how the old fluid looks and smells...
What about the taste?

Old 04-02-2010, 07:40 AM
Engineering Professor

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
If I do them, about an hour to an hour and half for both and a cost of about $80. Toyota will be quite a bit higher....
My dealer (in CT) charges me just over $100 to change out the ATF in my 2004 Prius. I am now at 173,000 miles and will do the exchange for the third time in two or three months.
Originally Posted by Mainer
How much work is this? (big bucks?) Is this per Toyota or for peace of mind?
A small group of Prius owners (me included) have been doing long term lab testing of used ATF in classic and gen2 Prii. The tests indicate that with the older Prii (2001-2003, Type IV ATF), it is wise to exchange the ATF at 30,000 mile intervals and in a Gen2 (2004-2009, Type WS ATF) at 60,000 mile intervals. Some in the group suggest a first exchange at half that mileage and then at the full interval thereafter.

Your Camry hybrids are a little heavier and have a little more powerful ICE, so it may be wise for some of you to do your own ATF testing (about $25 per test). Some have used http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ but our group have found that PDMA (now R&G labs http://www.randglabs.com/tests_.htm) does a good job. Make sure to ask for a "Viscosity Index" as this test is a good indicator of the remaining life in your ATF. My ATF testing results are in the attached PDF

The Super Long Life coolant (pink, not red) is good for 100,000 miles and each 50,000 miles thereafter (according to Toyota).

JeffD

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2004PriusATFat120ka.pdf (93.4 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by jdenenberg; 04-02-2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Added ATF testing results
Old 04-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Changed my fluid today, sorry, didn't taste it.

Changing the fluid is not the hard part, it is getting the car up on 4 jack stands so you can get under the car to change it. It would be a no brainer if it was on a lift. My car is harder because of the ground effects kit, I loose about an inch of clearance in the front and 2-3" in the back, makes it hard to jack up the car. Once it was up on the jack stands it wasn't bad at all. My drain and fill plugs were pretty tight. My 10 mm allen wrench is short so I had to put a 3/4" wrench on the end of it to break them loose.

The fluid was dirty, but probably not overly so for 46,000 miles. I have seen much worse come out of my truck after 25,000 miles. I still feel better having it changed, for less than $30 it is piece of mind.

I bought 4 quarts of fluid and used about 3.5 to 3.75 quarts. I could put my little finger in the hole and come out with fluid on it. It looked like I drained out around 3.5 quarts.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Okay, Mr. DIY (expert)...from your point of view, what mileage should someone consider changing their fluid? Is there a problem driving with dirty fluid? I know old dirty oil is bad, but is it the same with transmission fluid?

Quick Reply: Uh, Guys? Change your transmission oil.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands