Unit Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 08:17 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Unit Conversion

I want to change Odometer from miles to Kilometer, also A/c from F to C for my US purchased TCH, here in Canada. Dealer told me it is not possible, I think different as all the hardware is identical.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:38 PM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: Unit Conversion

If by identical you actually mean interchangeable then yes, replacing the instrument panel and climate control panel will likely yield the desired effects but cost likely makes this impractical.

If you were thinking about a US/Metric jumper on a circuit board somewhere or a system parameter that can be updated, then the dealer is right when he says not an option.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Someone else just PM'd me tonight on this question. Tempting to buy a U.S. car with the lower price isn't it?

It might not be just the cluster. I don't see a way to re-program the cluster to U.S./metric. Makes sense if you think about it. The physical economy gauge that's in the cluster is MPG for the U.S. market and l/100km for the Canadian market, so two different parts. There's no reason they would want it to switch. When I recently installed a Nav from the U.S. and got the energy screens working, they just "came up" in l/100km, and I don't see a way to change them. That makes me think the Hybrid Vehicle Control ECU is sending the mode to both the Nav and the cluster using CAN buss, and it's setting it to metric. I see references to U.S. and Canada for the ECU, but don't see a way to re-program the ECU to one or the other. If you had to change both the cluster and the ECU, it would be uber expensive.

One thing you could do is check with a Canadian and U.S. dealer for the part number for the ECU. If it's the same, there is probably some way to re-program it, but if it's different, you are likely into an expensive and uncharted territory of changing out one of the main ECU's in the car.

Good Luck!

Dang

Last edited by Dang; 09-04-2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think I will just leave it as it is. Only reason for buying in US was to save $$. I dont want to spend all my savings on conversion.
THanks Dang, I am getting used to Miles, Gallons, and Farenhite