Use of steering wheel controls for iPod

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Led-footed HyBrid geek
Default Re: Use of steering wheel controls for iPod

UPDATE:
I ordered the DICE device on eBay and had shipment notification a few minutes later!!!!
This device was JUST updated to support all the functions of my TCH (NAV & XM) No other device does this that I know of.
I like the options that this one has (reminds me of my old Honda interface). It seems like I can play by playlist, artists, or albums. The USA spec was limited to 99 playlists or something like that.
Now ....am I brave enough to rip apart my new dash or will I take it to someone else to install?? I'll keep ya posted.

I enquired (Itegration Solutions) about the USA Spec device and was told that there is a better solution for a Camry with Nav & XM....
(I got very prompt responses from my eMail enquiries)
----------------------------------------------
Thanks for writing us, we recommend the DICE interface for the 2007 Camry, and it does work with the 4-disc changer radio as well.

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-TOYOTA-CAMR...QQcmdZViewItem

It is updated to work with factory XM as well now

Last edited by wilsons66604; 04-18-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wilsons66604
UPDATE:
I ordered the DICE device on eBay and had shipment notification a few minutes later!!!!
This device was JUST updated to support all the functions of my TCH (NAV & XM) No other device does this that I know of.
I like the options that this one has (reminds me of my old Honda interface). It seems like I can play by playlist, artists, or albums. The USA spec was limited to 99 playlists or something like that.
Now ....am I brave enough to rip apart my new dash or will I take it to someone else to install?? I'll keep ya posted.

I enquired (Itegration Solutions) about the USA Spec device and was told that there is a better solution for a Camry with Nav & XM....
(I got very prompt responses from my eMail enquiries)
----------------------------------------------
Thanks for writing us, we recommend the DICE interface for the 2007 Camry, and it does work with the 4-disc changer radio as well.

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-TOYOTA-CAMR...QQcmdZViewItem

It is updated to work with factory XM as well now
That ebay item web page you link to says it does not work with the factory XM, so they must need to update the web page. When I read that ebay page, it does not seem like it can play by artists. I don't use playlists on my ipod, so I am looking for something like this (that can play without playlists). What I really want is an ipod-like interface on my nav screen, but I don't think it is out there.

Once you have this installed, and have used it for a few weeks, please update us on how you like it. Thanks.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

I pointed out the statement on the eBay page to the seller and they assured me that the new version they JUST got will work with XM and NAV. The web page was out of date.
I was wrong in saying you can play by artists. The correct statment would have been...
Play by TRACK, PLAYLIST, ALBUM, & CHAPTER.

I'm going to attempt to install this myself. I've replaced my 05 Tacoma's stereo so I hope I can handle this (without tearing up the dash)

Old 04-19-2007, 05:08 PM
Enthusiast

I have the Soundlinq SLI installed in both my Camry & Prius both of which have the NAV system. If ever I had to have work done on the NAV system, it would be fairly easy to pull the SLI out. The only drawbacks to the SLI is that it only works if you have playlists set up on your Ipod, you can only control the Ipod through through the car's controls (the SLI locks out the controls on the Ipod) and in the Camry, due to limitations in the Camry's radio, you only get limited information on the screen. (in the Prius you can get all the available information.) We are going to have the Sirius Satellite package installed in the Camry when it is available sometime in May. Hopefully the factory Sirius won't plug into the same port used by the SLI.

Last edited by bsteele; 04-19-2007 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

How is the sound output on these things? When I use the TCH AUX mini-stereo jack I lack almost all the bass and the sound is not "full." Since these use the iPOD data port, how is the sound quality. I have found that CDs sound 100% better as compared tot he iPOD through AUX.

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Well, I got the DICE device today and installed it with NO PROBLEMS!!.
It is very configurable with two banks of DIP switches. I could have had it look like a SAT, MP3, or a 6 disk changer. I chose the 6 CDC mode because I have XM.
The text displays just as it were a real CD. When you go into motion, the text blanks out. (I can over ride that with the NAV DVD I made)

I didn't try it but I wonder if the SAT mode would display the text all the time. My XM radio text is always displayed. Just a thought.

One thing VERY nice about this device is that you can still operate your iPod. Every other device I've seen disables the iPod operation..

Thanks to everyone who had posted pictures of the disassambly of the dash. This helped a great deal! The dash came apart and went back together great. You can't tell that I was every in there.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:35 PM
One year owner!

I am curious, now that you hve it installed, what functions from the iPod can you see on the NAV? can yuo browse by artist? Alblum? I would assume that you can control the volume, FF, rew, skip from the steering wheel?

Old 04-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Originally Posted by RojoToro
I am curious, now that you hve it installed, what functions from the iPod can you see on the NAV? can yuo browse by artist? Alblum? I would assume that you can control the volume, FF, rew, skip from the steering wheel?
The steering wheel controls act as if the iPod was a CD player. Volume works as you would expect. Depending on what mode you are in, the Next button take you to the next track, playlist, or album.
Browsing is not available (in the MP3 mode I have it installed). The Folder or File buttons don't seem to do anything. I'm not sure if Random does anything (I never had luck with random with the regular CD Player).

I'm thinking that if you select the SAT mode (if you don't have XM) you will get more text options.

What is cool is... I can still control the iPod from the NAV AND the iPod. As far as I know that is unique.

The device shows up as a 6 disk changer.
D1: Track mode
D2: Playlist mode
D3: Album mode
D4: Chapter mode (??)
D5: Next source (iPod or AUX..this device will also give you another AUX)
D6: display firmware info

I'm in the process of setting up playlists in iTunes to help me organize my 80gb iPod.

Last edited by wilsons66604; 04-22-2007 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Enthusiast

In terms of sound quality, I have only tested the Soundlinq SLI. I believe it sounds as good as playing a CD. In my Prius, I have the Sirius Sportster 4 plugged into the aux in from Toyota. It sounds pretty bad. It has a constant whine that only goes away by shutting off the power to the radio. Even if the satellite radio is off, it still makes the whine. The SLI also has a universal auxillary in. I'm going to rewire the Satellite radio to it to see if I can get rid of the whine. The Ipod sounds great. The SLI shows up as an auxillary multi-cd player on the screen. If you have the radio capable of playing mp3 disks, then the SLI will always show the name of the playlist you are using & the song you are currently playing. There are additional screens you can access in the Prius that will give you more info such as all the songs in your playlist which you can access directly. Toyota blocks these screens when you are moving. The Camry doesn't allow these additional screens due to some limitation to the radio. I also know that the SLI supports the paused playback when you receive an incoming call so you don't miss what you are listening to due to a call (especially helpful if you have audiobooks on your Ipod.) It does not allow you to use the controls on the Ipod. I didn't care about this feature because that was the main point to putting in the Ipod interface--so I wouldn't get into an accident searching for a song. The SLI is installed in both our cars so that the Ipods are out of sight. Everything is controlled from the steering wheel or screen.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wilsons66604
I pointed out the statement on the eBay page to the seller and they assured me that the new version they JUST got will work with XM and NAV. The web page was out of date.
I was wrong in saying you can play by artists. The correct statment would have been...
Play by TRACK, PLAYLIST, ALBUM, & CHAPTER.

I'm going to attempt to install this myself. I've replaced my 05 Tacoma's stereo so I hope I can handle this (without tearing up the dash)

Quick Reply: Use of steering wheel controls for iPod

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands