Vais tech iPod integration experience/feedback

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 11:32 AM
Driving in stealth mode
Default Re: Vais tech iPod integration experience/feedback

Ok I just spoke to the gentleman where I purchased it from and he stated the following "On the Toyota's they do not populate, because the Toyota Camary sees the interface as a CD-MP3 player, if it was a true mp3 disc then it would populate, but it sees it as a cd-mp3 input, that is why."

So the folder and list areas won't populate. Now that I have the major questions answered I will use the device for a few days and report back. If nothing changes since my ride this morning then I will be a totally satisfied user. Sound quality is both clearer and louder by the way. The volume can be adjusted for the device, besides the stereo volume.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks Dan.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Driving in stealth mode

So we are only about 2-3 weeks out on the new upgrade for 5th gen systems only (mp3) mode.
Here's what you'll get...

Playlist browsing
Artist browsing
Album browsing
Genre browsing
Audiobook browsing
Podcast browsing

again this is a feature that only people with 5th gen systems can take advantage of. Thanks for your patience and support.

They just posted on their website yesterday that they are in beta testing of a firmware upgrade that would allow for the above additional capabilities on the SL2i and SL2vi. They are looking for beta testers. I just ordered the update adapter and volunteered. This is exactly what several of us have been waiting for.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Enthusiast

I've got the update adapter and sent in the request for the new firmware. The response said it would take up to 72 hours. I was hoping to try it out tonight as we're leaving on a road trip for the long weekend. Otherwise, I guess I'll update it when I get home, unless my in-laws have a laptop I can use...

Old 05-22-2008, 11:27 AM
Driving in stealth mode

Cool. You have the SL2vi right? Have you been pleased with it? I an satisfied with the functionality of the SL2i right now but would be extremely happy with the added functionality. I have been in contact with them via email and have been getting pretty quick responses from them today. I'll send you a PM with the email address. Try contacting them that way.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Enthusiast

No, just the Sl2i. I was thinking of upgrading to the Vi but JoeB's posts here have me waiting until someone figures out whether video while in motion is even possible. I don't really need video at red lights right now...

I'm in contact with Vais and they think I should have the new firmware today. If so, I'll post my thoughts on it when I have a chance over the weekend.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Driving in stealth mode

I would say that even if they get my adapter out today that i won't get it until next week. I wish I could request the firmware before then so I could have it for when it arrives.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Enthusiast

Okay, it's updated, finally. I had some problems doing it which were resolved when I moved all the files and the executable to a flash drive and ran it from there. Go figure.

The new firmware is definitely an improvement. Now you're presented with six discs, as if you were looking a six disc changer. Each disc corresponds to a different way of browsing (and this may not be the correct order): playlist, artist, album, genre, audiobook, and podcast. Once you select a "disc," you then browse just as you did previously through a playlist - up and down arrows to go through folders and songs one at a time. The discs themselves aren't labeled, and instead you get a text box which pops up when you select one, telling which mode you're in ("Artist," "Album," etc.). This box disappears after a few seconds.

The major shortcoming of using the Vais with a Camry is still present - you cannot see a list of files or folders, and instead must scroll through each to find what you're looking for. Vais says this is a shortcoming of the Toyota nav system - it would not let you do this on an actual external CD changer, which is what the Vais is emulating. Lexus doesn't seem to have this problem. Either way, looking for a particular song is easier now, but still much more trouble than it could be if you could just see and select from a list of folders/files on the nav display. I was hoping maybe they'd found a way around this, but this is definitely better than nothing.

Anyone using the Toyota OEM integration (I believe made by Alpine)? Is that any better?

Old 05-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Driving in stealth mode

So you still can't see the songs?

Old 05-22-2008, 07:47 PM
Enthusiast

You still cannot see the songs.

Quick Reply: Vais tech iPod integration experience/feedback

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands