VIPER ALARM/REMOTE START FOR TCH

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 12:51 PM
Enthusiast
Default VIPER ALARM/REMOTE START FOR TCH

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THE VIPER 791XV ALARM WITH REMOTE START? MY VIPER INSTALLER SAYS THAT HE CANNOT INSTALL THE REMOTE START. I PREFER THE VIPER TO THE TOYOTA RS3200 AS THE VIPER HAS THE GPS LOCATOR SIMILAR TO ONSTAR. ALSO THE REMOTE START IS GOOD FOR 1/2 OF A MILE -- IF I CAN GET IT INSTALLED. ANY COMMENTS APPRECIATED.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: VIPER ALARM/REMOTE START FOR TCH

I'm not an expert by any means but I looked extensivelly into the whole alarm thing, since I wanted to put one myself as well. Lets start with the engine starter: as far as I know the only way to bypass engine immobilizer when using 3rd party start system is to install one of original keys inside the car to let the computer verify code and unlock the engine. The problem is TCH doesn't use the key. I would imagine for security reasons Toyota won't release any information how to bypass immobilizer to all alarm manufacturers, once the codes are broken or could be bypassed it would be very easy to steal the car since it doesn't even have a key. Also RS3200 is pretty much plug and play, to install another alarm system they'll need to tap into the wiring and wiring inside TCH is not the same as regular Camry, I wouldn't want installer to learn about hybrids on my car, if he messes something up you're going to be up the creek without a paddle. As a matter of fact back in June my dealer told me Toyota send them a letter stating they're not allowed to install any alarms on TCH they sell. I went to 2 Toyota dealers and they both refused to install alarm system on my car back then, even the RS3200. Anyhow, you could take a chance on Viper alarm but for engine starter I think you would need to go with Toyota's system.