Walking away with the FOB

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 05:21 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Walking away with the FOB

Just curious to know what happens when start the car and walk away from the car with the FOB on your person? I thought I heard or read the car will shut off? Not sure if that's true?

If that is the case then I wonder how remote start works on cars(more specifically the TCH) that use the FOB/push start system?

Old 01-25-2007, 05:36 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons
Default Re: Walking away with the FOB

The car will give you 3 electronic "beeps" that essentially tell you that the car is running and you are leaving it unattended.. It will not shut off. Matter of fact, someone else without a FOB can hop in and drive away. Of course they cannot re-start the car should they power-down.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That's exactly what happens. It does not make sense at first. However, you'd hate to have a weak battery in the FOB, have it lose connection with the TCH and shut down while on the highway.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
The car will give you 3 electronic "beeps" that essentially tell you that the car is running and you are leaving it unattended.. It will not shut off. Matter of fact, someone else without a FOB can hop in and drive away. Of course they cannot re-start the car should they power-down.

Thanks Randy...that's exactly what I wanted to know.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Orcrone
That's exactly what happens. It does not make sense at first. However, you'd hate to have a weak battery in the FOB, have it lose connection with the TCH and shut down while on the highway.

LOL...that's pretty funny Marc. I never thought about it like that. Can you imagine that happeneing...pure chaos LOL

Old 01-25-2007, 06:00 AM
it's just a car...

The passenger can unlock the doors and keep the fob in his pocket.

The driver who has no fob can start and drive the car, drop the passenger off along the way, ignore the chimes and "key not detected" warning, continue to park the car elsewhere and shut down the car normally.

The hitch is, the car can't be locked without a fob nor can it be re-stared by anyone without one.

When the passenger with the fob catches up to the car, it can be re-started normally.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by vioarc
The hitch is, the car can't be locked without a fob nor can it be re-stared by anyone without one.
Another fellow Tennessean huh?

This makes sense...but I sure wouldn't drop off the only person with a FOB and go park the car. I want to be able to lock the door

Old 01-25-2007, 08:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

I haven't tried it, but can't you lock the doors manually from the inside before getting out? If so, you don't need the fob to lock the doors.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by klynch
I haven't tried it, but can't you lock the doors manually from the inside before getting out? If so, you don't need the fob to lock the doors.
Newer cars won't let you get out of the car and just hit the lock button and close the door. Typically when you do that all the doors will lock except the drivers side door. This is a safety feature that prevents you from locking your keys in the car. The way to bypass that is to go around to the passengers side door and reach across to the drivers side door and hit the lock button. Since I don't have my TCH yet I don't know if that would work.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tnsig
Newer cars won't let you get out of the car and just hit the lock button and close the door. Typically when you do that all the doors will lock except the drivers side door. This is a safety feature that prevents you from locking your keys in the car. The way to bypass that is to go around to the passengers side door and reach across to the drivers side door and hit the lock button. Since I don't have my TCH yet I don't know if that would work.
This is true if the KEY IS IN THE IGNITION, on all recent Toyotas, however, you can lock the doors with the inside power lock button on the TCH without the fob in your possession, (or with the fob in possession) then close the door, all doors remain locked.

If the fob is left in the car, it will not lock. Pretty SMART!

Quick Reply: Walking away with the FOB

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands