Warm up vehicle in the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 07:12 AM
Enthusiast
Default Warm up vehicle in the winter?

Just wondering if people have been warming up (idling) their TCH in the colder weather. I drive a truck at work and they say the best way to warm it up is to drive it but it seems to me that it takes away from the life of the vehicle. Seems like a strain on the vehicle at -15 or more.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:21 AM
The Regenerator
Default Re: Warm up vehicle in the winter?

But you're assuming that simple idling imposes less "strain" on the engine, and this is probably not the case, especially if you're using the preferred 0w-20 oil. Remember, at idle, oil pressure will be very low, compared to when the engine is actually propelling the car. Gentle, reasonable, moderate driving will get the oil flowing where it's needed, and will help things heat up faster (including the transmission). Just don't flog it right out of the garage.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:58 AM
0__o

Your engine should be warmed up for at least 30 seconds before driving. You can let it warm up longer but remember that your car is designed to be moving. While there may be coolant running through the engine to keep it within temperature tolerances, other parts depend on airflow to stay cool. You could heat up (cook) your exhaust and catalytic systems to a temperature higher than they need to be, possibly causing problems in the long run.

Yes, warm up but don't leave it running to melt off five inches of snow.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ekpolk
But you're assuming that simple idling imposes less "strain" on the engine, and this is probably not the case, especially if you're using the preferred 0w-20 oil. Remember, at idle, oil pressure will be very low,

No, when you first start a cold engine the oil will be at the high viscosity (THICK) level. The second thing is that like a power stearing pump, your engine oil pump is sized to provide more than adequate flow even with the engine idling.

When the engine is above idle, 'way above idle, too much oil is pumped and must therefore be immediately bypassed back into the sump by the spring loaded pressure relief valve.

Horrible WASTE of fuel.

The newest Porsche 911 uses a variable speed electric motor to pump engine lubrication oil, more HP at WOT and improved FE.

compared to when the engine is actually propelling the car. Gentle, reasonable, moderate driving will get the oil flowing where it's needed, and will help things heat up faster (including the transmission). Just don't flog it right out of the garage.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TCH80226
Your engine should be warmed up for at least 30 seconds before driving.

Why...explanation...??

You can let it warm up longer but remember that your car is designed to be moving.

Other than "free" cooling airflow through the radiator moving or not will make no difference to the engine.

While there may be coolant running through the engine to keep it within temperature tolerances, other parts depend on airflow to stay cool. You could heat up (cook) your exhaust and catalytic systems to a temperature higher than they need to be, possibly causing problems in the long run.

No, in modern cars your would have to have a serious level of emissions control systems failure in order to "cook" anything. And 95% of those failures would result in a warning light.

Yes, warm up but don't leave it running to melt off five inches of snow.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Malcontent

You could always get a block heater.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Gene is correct with his answer. Crank it and drive the car easy until warm. As long as you use 0w-20 or 5w-20 oil as specified, you will be fine.

Gene, one question for you.... Where did you purchase/find a group II+ oil in 0w-20? I use to use Havoline in 10w-40 a long time ago (use mobil 1 now) but I am not familar with the one that you are using.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

There is zero need to warm up the car.

On cold days one will notice that the electric motor is used immediately upon startup. The engine is running but won't "rev up" when you accelerate.

After a minute or two the car will then use the engine to accelerate the car.

Last edited by n8kwx; 10-19-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:36 PM
The Regenerator

Your engine should be warmed up for at least 30 seconds before driving.
Ed, can you cite any authority for this proposition? I respectfully disagree. I have not ever felt the need to do this with any vehicle, even when it gets cold here (and I used to live way up in the frozen north...), and I've never had a problem, to include no signs of abnormal wear in lab analysis of my used oil. I've even cut up used oil filters, and found no large wear debris that might not show on the lab UOAs.

You can let it warm up longer but remember that your car is designed to be moving. While there may be coolant running through the engine to keep it within temperature tolerances, other parts depend on airflow to stay cool. You could heat up (cook) your exhaust and catalytic systems to a temperature higher than they need to be, possibly causing problems in the long run.
This really doesn't fly either. I've lived down in the deep south for years. This would include doing over four years in New Orleans, which included daily big city commuting during brutally hot weather, including ample doses of sitting still going nowhere. Modern cars are designed to tolerate just sitting idling in brutal heat, if they have to, without sustaining any damage.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:52 PM
The Regenerator

Originally Posted by n8kwx
There is zero need to warm up the car.

On cold days one will notice that the electric motor is used immediately upon startup. The engine is running but won't "rev up" when you accelerate.

After a minute or two the car will then use the engine to accelerate the car.
I'd forgotten about that part of the programming of the HSD cars. It's even more noticeable in the Prius. In essence, the ECU won't let you run the ICE too fast while it's warming up.

Quick Reply: Warm up vehicle in the winter?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands