Warning to XM radio owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 02:38 AM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Warning to XM radio owners

Warning to xm owners who have moved your antenna to the outside of the car. I did this when I had my windows tinted in April 2007. Last month(may 08) I noticed that the satellite signal was starting to drop off in places that I never had a problem before but just kind of ignored it until one day no signal at all.I removed the back plate(3 small screws)and the inside had rusted.They are not water tight.Tried to find a new one on the internet but found out from a online retailer(xmfanstore.com) that you have to buy it from Toyota as the plug is exclusive to Toyotas parts.Ordered one to the tune of $57.00. OUCH. This time I'm going to fill the antenna with clear silicon before installing.If anyone is having signal problems you might want to check it out.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:13 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Warning to XM radio owners

Originally Posted by mista
Warning to xm owners who have moved your antenna to the outside of the car. I did this when I had my windows tinted in April 2007. Last month(may 08) I noticed that the satellite signal was starting to drop off in places that I never had a problem before but just kind of ignored it until one day no signal at all.I removed the back plate(3 small screws)and the inside had rusted.They are not water tight.Tried to find a new one on the internet but found out from a online retailer(xmfanstore.com) that you have to buy it from Toyota as the plug is exclusive to Toyotas parts.Ordered one to the tune of $57.00. OUCH. This time I'm going to fill the antenna with clear silicon before installing.If anyone is having signal problems you might want to check it out.
Good thing I decided to keep mine inside after getting my windows tinted.
Tinted 35% in the rear and I have noticed no loss in signal.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have 3M 5% tint on my back window and my XM antenna is mounted below the package shelf. I have had no problems at all!

Old 06-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

There are two types of antenna connectors: the tiny 'coaxial' type and the 'two prong' type. The freestanding kits, like home kits and car kits to adapt portable units use the coaxial type, while the permanent mount kits used in cars to connect to the various in-dash units ( not Toyota specifically) use the other. These are usually a plastic square shell, colored light green or pink, that fit into the appropriate jack on the base unit.

Since there are so many of these type kits out there, it is fairly easy to get a replacement antenna. I see them locally at Fry's Electronics for $39.95. You might try Googling for a local or mail order source.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:53 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you Radiotek for responding.The plug for my unit is light gray and square inside. I would love to find an antenna that is designed for roof top installation and weather proof.Before I put the new antenna back on my roof (I used the 3m tape) I filled the inside of the antenna with silicon.I wasnt sure if the silicon would damage the electronics but apparently not as its working just fine.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:58 PM
mac
Enthusiast

Just purchased an 09 TCH got it last week drove it around XM worked great, dealer had promised to throw in the tint for free but had to schedule it later. Got it tinted 3 days ago (rear window 35%) and XM drops out all the time sometimes forever. My antenna is on the inside rear deck passenger side. Dealer says they can move it outside but they are going to have to order new antenna (rated for exterior mounting) should be in Tuesday of next week. They said i could have it mounted anywhere i wanted. My preliminary decision is to mount it on the rear trunk lid center. I've have a factory mounted XM system in a GMC vehicle never had a problem and another in a third SUV that is dash mount with antenna front center inside of vehicle no problems there either. Will post resluts

Old 07-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Enthusiast

Hey MAC,
Before you move your antenna to outside, give the film 2 weeks to cure. It may get the signal back. I vent with my XM signal thru HELL, I replaced 2 sets of film before I moved the antenna outside, and the great place for it on the glass because the antenna is black. If your dealer will replace your antenna with exterior grade please find out the part number, because I moved my original antenna, and I think I may loose signal in the future, here in California not much rain, but eventually it may go bad. Thanks, Tim

Old 07-06-2008, 12:13 PM
mac
Enthusiast

Tim,
When it comes in I'll get the part number for you, I'm going to go with the flow as the dealership has really gone above and beyond to keep us happy we had a few minor issues and they are doing whatever they can to remedy them. This is the only real issue left and only popped up after they installed the tint (a freebie). I live in Southwest Texas so the tint is a must. Rain comes a few times a year here but when it rains it pours, so I'm gonna let them do what they must. They alwasy give us an XLE as a loaner anyway (+gas), so it hasn't become a headache yet.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks, keep us informed.