Washing my TCH in the winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Washing my TCH in the winter

Originally Posted by JoeRemix
Thanks for all the input guys. This weekend, and actually later next week look perfect for a good wash and wax.

As far as the wax I'll use, I'm going with the Meguiar's. Here's the thing, all I could find in stores is the "NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0." Is this what we're talking about, or an update?
I live in NY (not NYC) and I use Meguiar's Gold paste as my wax. It works well. I plan to do a little wet sanding and polish of a few spots and then a good wash and wax this weekend. I sometimes take it a local shop that does a hand wash and wax for $40. That's not bad considering the time I spend doing it. They are a detailing shop. They don't clay bar (I wish they did) but the do lightly or coarsely sand/polish for additional money. I usually get a light sand/polish done in the spring with a full interior shampoo and condition/cleaning. Thats a little less than $200.

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 10-30-2008 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Joe,

If you have a Harbor Freight near you, they carry Collinite 845 and 476S. If you go with NXT (another good option) use the paste version instead of the spray type. It will last a little longer.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

I do actually have one very close to me. What're the advantages of Collinite vs. Meguiar's?

Old 10-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Joe,

Visit any of the over the top detailing sites (autogeek, autopia, etc.) and see what the pros and **** autogeeks (me???) are putting on their cars (and their customers) for winter prep. Most use either Duragloss or Collinite with the later getting the nod about 60% of the time. Two coats of 476S layered about an hour or two apart will last most cars for the entire winter. These guys live in MI, MN, ND, WY and into Canada and understand cold very well.

The best part is that 476S, 845 and NXT are all fairly inexpensive (compared to a $175.00 tub of Fuzion...) and have a nice look to them, bead water like crazy and are not too difficult to apply.

Edit: If you would prefer NXT paste, I will send a can to you that has been used to wax my car one time. Didn't like it and went back to 845 topped with 476s for winter. It just sits lonely looking on my discard shelf....

Last edited by GeorgiaHybrid; 10-29-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

David,

What didn't you like about the NXT?

I may go check out the Collinite tomorrow

Thanks again for all your input!

Old 10-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Joe,

NXT acts like a sealant and has a very "bright" finish. I don't really like the looks but if I did, Duragloss 105 has a LOT longer lifespan than NXT. I do use sealants in the summer (Wolfgang or Klasse) and then top them with a beauty wax (carnauba) for looks. The wax brings out more of a "warm" look to the paint that I prefer.

Collinite 845 and 476S use a combination of carnauba wax and synthetic polymers that cross link as they cure and become harder. They combine the best of both worlds by being "warmer" than a pure sealant but harder and longer lasting than a pure carnauba wax. The drawback is they do not look as nice as a good "beauty" wax.

The problem with the nicer (read pretty) waxes is they need to be applied every 4 to 6 weeks or even more often if subjected to road salt, dirt and the constant washing that occurs during the winter.

Note!!! If you use 845 Liquid Insulator Wax, shake the crap out of the plastic bottle. It will separate while on the shelf and will need to be mixed well. Once you open the bottle there will be a "plug" of wax in the neck. Shove it back into the bottle and shake again. When mixed well it will be very thin and look like yellowish milk. Another item to mention is to ignore the chemical smell, it will go away.... Yes the "insulator" word above is correct. This wax was developed to prevent "flashovers" on power line insulators. Once the linemen figured out that it lasted all year and still had a shine, well you know car guys.. Collinite now has auto and marine waxes that mirror their other lines.

All of that is the long way around to saying Duragloss 105 appears to last longer if you like the "sealant" look than NXT and Collinite 845/476S will last longer than most other carnauba waxes if you like the "warm" look.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

David,

So would you say the Collinite 845 + 476S has a good lifespan? Will it last until March or April?

Thanks again!

Old 10-30-2008, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Minneapolis, MN here.... Salt on the roads??? Heck, by february, you'd swear that the asphalt was totally replaced with blocks of salt... Pure white - well - okay - Gray... ((Bleech!))

There are periods when I am not able to wash my car for 3 or 4 weeks or more due to the sub-zero or constant below freezing weather. When it does get washed, it's at a touch-less carwash..

My car sits in a heated parking ramp during the days at work but all the rest of the time it's outside - not garaged..

I will second the idea of giving her a really good coating of wax prior to the snow coming to stay...
Randy, I just got back yesterday from a 5 day trip to Minneapolis (from Arizona). I was hoping for some relief from the never ending Arizona heat...still 90 degrees here, but I didn't bargin for the 38 degree + 40 mph wind you provided for me on Sunday and Monday. Anyway, enjoyed the city and can definately see why the brilliant folks there have created the skywalks in downtown. We enjoyed the chain of the lakes, and many other sights from inside the warm cozy rented Toyota Yaris. Minnihaha falls was mentined as a "must see" but, alas, there was NO water! HUH???? Minneapolis isn't desert? I see dry rivers here all the time. LOL..

And now, back to the regular thread.

Here in AZ, we have to wash the car REAL early in the day during the summer, or the water drys on the car and spots before you can dry it off with a shammy. Our normal humidity can be 8-10% in summer. Joe, sorry I don't have any suggestions for you in the freezing cold, but wanted to show another side of the issue.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Joe,

The 845 + topper of 476S should last until warmer weather comes back. You could also move to God's country instead of living in those frozen wastelands up north

Old 10-31-2008, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by georgiahybrid
you could also move to god's country instead of living in those frozen wastelands up north
lol

Quick Reply: Washing my TCH in the winter

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands