We now officially only get 34 MPG

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 09:47 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: We now officially only get 34 MPG

Just filled the TCH after Denver/Boulder area finally emerged from the deep freeze and snow. Averaged (hand calc.) 36.5 from mid Dec. to early Feb. Latest tank average was 40.3, and it is the first time both the display mpg and my hand calculations matched exactly. Has anyone else experienced that?

Old 02-23-2007, 09:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I've made the following comment before and got roasted for it, but Consumer Reports long ago stated that the "old" EPA calculations for hybrid cars nowhere near represented real-world driving conditions. For example, the Honda Civic Hybrid was EPA rated for 51 city, but Consumer Reports could never manage more than 38-40 in their testing, which is the primary reason I eliminated a HCH as a possibility. I have always averaged about 35mpg per tank in the TCH, but my 90% highway driving is over some significant hills so I never expected to hit the old EPA rating of 38mpg highway. I'm glad that the EPA ratings for hybrids are now more in line with my real-world experiences. There will be less people who feel cheated when they get mileage lower than the EPA estimates (such as rouman1).

Old 02-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Enthusiast

So I guess I am a hypermiler now!!!

Old 02-23-2007, 10:55 AM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by jreas
Just filled the TCH after Denver/Boulder area finally emerged from the deep freeze and snow. Averaged (hand calc.) 36.5 from mid Dec. to early Feb. Latest tank average was 40.3, and it is the first time both the display mpg and my hand calculations matched exactly. Has anyone else experienced that?

From what i have seen, higher the Tank average is the closer the actual is to the display. If I have a displayed 38 MPG, I know it is really 36, if I hav a displayed 42 MPG it is actually closer to 41.5. I don't know why it is more accurate on the more efficient readings.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

It's possibly more accurate on the higher efficency due to more battery use. Easier to calculate I would surmise.

Acutally it wont matter what the EPA says, while it may give anti hybrid types more fodder, there arent many other cars available that get as good gas milage. Hybrids are good now, and they are only getting better.

Plus it's hard to argue hard numbers with people. When you show somone gas reciepts with the miles driven written on it, the only argument that wil ensue is weather or not you fabricated the milage number

Old 02-23-2007, 12:17 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ag4ever
From what i have seen, higher the Tank average is the closer the actual is to the display. If I have a displayed 38 MPG, I know it is really 36, if I hav a displayed 42 MPG it is actually closer to 41.5. I don't know why it is more accurate on the more efficient readings.
I don't have enough data yet to indicate a trend. Out of nine fills, I've seen 40+ mpg four times, the latest plus my first three fills before snow hit in December. One time, the hand calc was greater than the display by a good amount - 46.1 vs. 43.9.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Dazed and Confused

I have about 14,000 miles to base my findings on. I have not created a matrix to compare the numbers, but I have thought about doing so since I had the same feelings for a while now.

Unfortunatly since I drive about 3500 miles per month the data comes all too quick.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ag4ever
I have about 14,000 miles to base my findings on. I have not created a matrix to compare the numbers, but I have thought about doing so since I had the same feelings for a while now.

Unfortunatly since I drive about 3500 miles per month the data comes all too quick.
I'm in the same boat as you, but not quite as much. I put my car into service on Aug 1, and I'm taking it in next week for the 15k service. But I've tracked every tank in a spreadsheet, and it really helps you trend your mileage.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:22 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I've put about 80 miles on the car so far and my reading off the nav screen and the MFD are 37.5. It's pretty hilly around here so I'm feeling good about it. I'm really trying to get the instant MPG to hit 60 or go into E mode. Its been tough because of the ups and downs but my MPG is slowly creeping up there.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:58 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: We now officially only get 34 MPG

Originally Posted by john312
We're now 33 City and 34 Highway.
I agree with the 33 mpg for the city although I often can exceed it, but the highway mileage of 34 mpg is totally bogus. I have never gone below 40 mpg on the highway so I thought the 38 mpg was conservative and achievable.

If you look at the EPA site that describes their testing, they accelerate very rapidly and similate driving at up to 80 mph. I don't think that the EPA should be testing at a speed that high, particularly with drivers of hybrids who are generally more in tuned with how to maximize mileage. Adding a section for air conditioning and cold weather makes sense.

The overall average for GreenHybrid drivers is 37 mpg so 34 is too low. Just my 2 cents worth.

Quick Reply: We now officially only get 34 MPG

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands