We now officially only get 34 MPG

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: We now officially only get 34 MPG

I've been averaging 29 mpg with my TCH ever since they switched over to the oxygenated winter fuel here in NJ. I don’t know if it’s a higher percentage of Ethanol or more additives being mixed in but since November my per tank average is down 5 points with no change in driving style.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

More information I found this morning that may shed some light on the subject.
http://www.theoildrum.com/node/2374

Old 03-17-2007, 08:18 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

The changes to the gasoline is 1 component of lower MPG in the winter. Here is a paragraph on that:
Gasoline Composition
We have already discussed two related changes in gasoline composition which decrease fuel economy: adding oxygenate and adjusting the octane of oxygenated gasoline. Adjusting gasoline volatility for seasonal ambient temperatures also requires changes in gasoline composition. Summer gasoline is given a lower volatility to avoid vapor lock and minimize evaporative losses. Winter gasoline (both conventional and oxygenated) is given a higher volatility to facilitate starting and warmup. The compositional changes required for the shift from summer gasoline to winter gasoline decrease the gasoline's energy content. Depending on the magnitude of the volatility change, the fuel economy of winter gasoline will be 0.5% to 1.5% lower than of summer gasoline.
For this reason and the other reasons for lower MPG in the winter see this link:
http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...realwrld.shtml