Weird Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Weird Issue

I have just started to notice that when my car is almost at a complete stop somtimes it feels like someone jabs the brakes or the car is downshifting (which i know does not happen). It happens just before the car is stopped (5-10 feet at most or under 5mph). It actually throws me forward.

Has anyone else had ths happen?

Old 03-11-2007, 09:35 PM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: Weird Issue

Fairly common for me. It is typical during the first few stops of the drive and I believe it is simply that the regen braking system takes over much of the slowing of the car. On a conventional vehicle the brakes get used often and at all speeds which allows them to burn off any moisture quickly which tends to make brakes a bit grabby. On the TCH, it is possible to go thru several slows and stops without significant use of the mechanical brakes, therefore it can be noticable when the mechanical brakes completely take over from the regen brakes as you come to a stop the first few times. Kind of becomes a habit to be ready to ease up just a bit on those first stops in the morning.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Do you have the AC on when this happens? Is the ICE running?

Old 03-12-2007, 03:58 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by FL07THC
I have just started to notice that when my car is almost at a complete stop somtimes it feels like someone jabs the brakes or the car is downshifting (which i know does not happen). It happens just before the car is stopped (5-10 feet at most or under 5mph). It actually throws me forward.

Has anyone else had ths happen?
Not to a degree where "it throws me forward" but there is a definite transition from regen to mechanical below a few mph when coming to a complete stop. Same with my Prius. It's always made coming to a smooth complete stop more difficult than with a car with only mechanical brakes. But with a little awareness and practice I've gotten the technique down pretty well.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:02 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by kris
Curious why you would think AC would have anthing to do with it since the AC is only an electrical accessory and not engine driven. Same a asking of the headlights are on. On conventional airconditioned automobiles if the compressor engages when stopped some cars tend to lurch a bit when the engine rpm increases but that does not apply with the TCH's AC.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by kris
Yes and no

Old 03-12-2007, 06:21 AM

If I come to a real slow stop I can still tell it is doing it, but it does not throw me forward. It seams to happen when I stop quickly, but not an emergency stop.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I've experienced it, but not to the extent that I'm "thrown forward".

I believe it is due to moisture on the brakes, making the transition from regenerative braking to mechanical braking more noticeable. As others have commented, regenerative braking does almost all the braking on the TCH until you drop under ~6 mph (unless you brake hard.)

Try this: Tomorrow, before the first stop you typically notice this, shift into neutral before stopping and see if the "grabbing" goes away when stopping. Don't forget to shift back into "D"

Old 03-12-2007, 04:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Could this moisture on the brakes be the cause of my brakes shuddering a couple of times this past winter?

I commented in a different post that a couple of times, when I applied the brakes for the first few times after the car sat overnight, I felt a them shudder just prior to the car stopping. It only happened a few times and I don't think there was any snow/ice/water on the ground when it happened (it wasn't the ABS kicking in either).

Old 03-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Not to a degree where "it throws me forward" but there is a definite transition from regen to mechanical below a few mph when coming to a complete stop. Same with my Prius. It's always made coming to a smooth complete stop more difficult than with a car with only mechanical brakes. But with a little awareness and practice I've gotten the technique down pretty well.
Believe it or not - I actually agree with you on this one.. I've attributed the un-even transition from hi to slow speed braking to the very same thing and have managed to develop pretty much the same technique.

Quick Reply: Weird Issue

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands