What ONE thing really drives you nuts about the TCH

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What ONE thing really drives you nuts about the TCH

Nearly 2 years later, my .02 in CAPS

Originally Posted by beng
As a potential buyer, there are a few items that bug me about the TCH;

10 Availability - Waiting 4-8 weeks for a car makes it almost impossible to trade in a car. - THANKFULLY, SUPPLY HAS CAUGHT UP TO DEMAND. CAN BUY ONE EASILY.

9 Overall interior storage. The lack of rear door pockets seems odd given the TCH's family car status. What storage there is seems unfunctional, like the hard front seat rear pockets, or the lack of a cover for the tray (where the acc socket is) in the center console. - AGREE...SUCKY COMPARED TO OTHER CARS

8 Non Foldable Rearview Mirrors - This seems to be a Toyota thing (many of their models seem to lack this simple feature). When ever I park in a tight parking stall, I usually fold in the mirrors so that someone can't accidently bump and damage them. The last car that drove with solid mirrors was a 86 Pontiac Sunbird that my GF paid $9000 for brand new. Even Hyundai's have foldable breakaway mirrors. THIS IS MY NUMBER ONE PEEVE! NO REASON FOR THIS! I ACTUALLY DID NOT BUY A CAMRY 5 YEARS AGO DUE TO THIS (LACK OF) FEATURE.

7 Interior Trim - Would have liked to seen the metalic trim pieces from the SE or Plastic Wood of the XLE on the doors and center console to make the car more upscale overall. - AGREE...PALES COMPARED TO ACCORDS, OTHERS.

6 Auto Dimming Mirror - The colour is greenish and does not seem as effective as every other auto dimming mirror I've used which goes dark grey. AGREE - AUTODIM MIRROR ARE LAME: NOTHING WRONG WITH THE "OLD" WAY

5 Choice of Swith Locations - This should be on the arm rest, where you can adjust your mirrors from the position that you drive in. The cruise control should be on the steering wheel and the AC (Auto climate) controls on the dash. YES! THIS IS A TOYOTA THING (SIENNA, OTHERS) AND IT IS HORRIBLE, ESP FOR SIDE VIEW MIRROR CONTROLS.

4 Lack of Auto Up/Remote Windows - My current rides offer a cool feature where if you hold down the unlock button on the remote, all the windows roll down for as long as you hold down the button. It makes it real easy to cool off the car as you are walking up to it after it has sat in the sun all day. On this note, Toyota seems to recognize that the battery in the TCH needs to stay cool (hence the mondo battery vent on the back shelf) so why don't they just tint the back and rear windows as a standard feature? - AGREE!

3 No Energy/Consumption Screens - Canadian TCH's with NAV lack the Energy/Consumption screens. For a $2719 (before tax) option I can't help but feel a little ripped. NON-ISSUE TO ME.

2 The Center Dash Lights - The center dash lights are way too bright and are not controllable. Having the radio surround glow at night is more a distraction and serves no purpose I can think of and is one of the first things I plan on trying to disable if I buy a TCH. NON-ISSUE TO ME.

And my #1 complaint/observation is ...

1 Light coloured interiors - Being a family car, Toyota needs to realize that light colours and kids do not go together. Offering 2 interior colours choices that look almost the same is like offering no choice at all. My favorite quote on the TCH was made by a Driving Televison Host that said "... there's alot of shades of beige in the Camry ..." The fact of the matter is that many of the other complaints can be gotten used to or fixed with a bit of money, but changing out an entire interior is too much.I SORT OF WISH BLACK LEATHER WAS AVAILABLE, BUT GREY IS OKAY FOR ME

Old 03-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

5. It's not a Toyota thing. My Prius has them on the driver's door panel, not in the "usual" location next to the steering wheel. Besides, why do you want to adjust the mirror while driving???

Old 03-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Tideland,

I don't think a person would want to adjust them while driving but rather adjust them while sitting still from a driving position. Leaning forward to adjust the mirrors makes no real sense, because if you lean back you find that you may not have adjusted it correctly. Then lean forward, adjust, lean back and check. If the buttons were accessible from a comfortable driving position, it would make adjusting them easier while sitting still. I do not find it a huge inconvenience, but that is just me. I do understand why it would be better to have them in a more convenient position.

As you stated, on the prius, they are on the door where you can make your adjustments from a comfortable driving position. On the Camry, you have to lean forward and back to check. More tedious than anything else.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tegster
On the Camry, you have to lean forward and back to check. More tedious than anything else.
I don't have that problem but it certainly depends on an individual's arm/leg length. It is a better spot than the center arm rest in some cars (like the RAV4) where I find it hard to access.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

I find that I do actually do adjust my mirrors periodically while driving. This may be because I have readjusted my driver seat to get a bit more comfortable during a long drive for example. Another common thing that will make me adjust my mirror down might be while driving on the highway, I have some monster truck with is headlight, foglights, driving lights and any other light he can possibly fit on the front his grill glaring in my rear view mirror. Which kind of leads in to some new complaints, now as an owner of a TCH.

Lack of accessories, like the rear sunshade available on the XLE, rear view camera, turn signal rearview mirorrs, ...

Tinting the headlights blue was a cool idea, but I would much have perfered that they had tinted the rear view mirros blue.

Crappy headlights! Why would Toyota elect to use H11 bulbs, commonly used for fog lights as the headligt bulb?

But now, as an owner, my biggest complaint is the crappy paint Toyota uses. My white TCH is now about 8 months old and I've got all types of paint chips on my front bumper.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:11 AM

Crappy headlights! Why would Toyota elect to use H11 bulbs, commonly used for fog lights as the headligt bulb?

But now, as an owner, my biggest complaint is the crappy paint Toyota uses. My white TCH is now about 8 months old and I've got all types of paint chips on my front bumper.
There you go...now I can fully agree!

Old 03-16-2008, 11:03 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I find that I do actually do adjust my mirrors periodically while driving. This may be because I have readjusted my driver seat to get a bit more comfortable during a long drive for example. Another common thing that will make me adjust my mirror down might be while driving on the highway, I have some monster truck with is headlight, foglights, driving lights and any other light he can possibly fit on the front his grill glaring in my rear view mirror. Which kind of leads in to some new complaints, now as an owner of a TCH.

Lack of accessories, like the rear sunshade available on the XLE, rear view camera, turn signal rearview mirorrs, ...

Tinting the headlights blue was a cool idea, but I would much have perfered that they had tinted the rear view mirros blue.

lol. You adjust the mirrors as often as I adjust the wiper speeds to accomodate the wetness of the windshield

rear sunshade would be nice eh? The mirror can be ordered from Toyota Japan

The headlights are tinted blue... like all Toyota/Lexus hybrids. Well, the headlight cover.

I don't think it's the paint as much as the design too. The new car paints are softer because they're water-based rather than oil-based. It's more environmentally friendly.

Tideland,

I don't think a person would want to adjust them while driving but rather adjust them while sitting still from a driving position. Leaning forward to adjust the mirrors makes no real sense, because if you lean back you find that you may not have adjusted it correctly. Then lean forward, adjust, lean back and check. If the buttons were accessible from a comfortable driving position, it would make adjusting them easier while sitting still. I do not find it a huge inconvenience, but that is just me. I do understand why it would be better to have them in a more convenient position.

As you stated, on the prius, they are on the door where you can make your adjustments from a comfortable driving position. On the Camry, you have to lean forward and back to check. More tedious than anything else.
When you put it that way, yeah it makes sense. But it also depends on the person's arm/leg ratio I suppose that will determine how far one has to lean forward to adjust. For me, our old 02 Camry was almost within reach or within reach... I can't remember and can't check cause it's totalled now.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

I noticed that first off as the mirror adjustments were on the door on my old car which made it nice. I also sometimes adjust the mirrors when driving for reasons mentioned by Beng (getting more comfortable on long trips). I hardly ever adjust the mirrors for headlight glare except in extreme circumstances.

I guess I am somewhat used to it because I rent a lot of cars and find the controls all over the place. I find that I like the ones that allow me to adjust mirrors from a normal driving position to be the easiest to adjust and even tweak while driving. I am not knocking the design as I feel that having too many buttons in one place screws things up. I still have not gotten used to the steering wheel buttons which drives me a little nuts.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:34 AM

I noticed that first off as the mirror adjustments were on the door on my old car which made it nice. I also sometimes adjust the mirrors when driving for reasons mentioned by Beng (getting more comfortable on long trips). I hardly ever adjust the mirrors for headlight glare except in extreme circumstances.

I guess I am somewhat used to it because I rent a lot of cars and find the controls all over the place. I find that I like the ones that allow me to adjust mirrors from a normal driving position to be the easiest to adjust and even tweak while driving. I am not knocking the design as I feel that having too many buttons in one place screws things up. I still have not gotten used to the steering wheel buttons which drives me a little nuts.
Well I am as happy as a pig in its own shat that this car has power something...my last vehicle (truck) didn't have mirror adjustment controls....that is....unless I rolled down the window and moved them by hand!

My life got simpler with this car....not only did I get those fancy power windows and mirrors, I also got the super fly power locks....it was like a dream....