What is pulse and glide?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Enthusiast
Default What is pulse and glide?

I am a new TCH owner and have read in a few posts about drivers using "pulse and glide" to optimize fuel efficiency. I gather this has to do with accelerating and then coasting, in turn. I would like some pointers on this technique (when to accelerate, how long to glide, what situations is the technique good and not so good for) and how it compares to using cruise control or just driving with your feet like a normal car.

Thank you in advance!
-Jake

Old 02-06-2007, 04:57 AM
Dan
MPG Centurion
Default Re: What is pulse and glide?

Sorry to refer off forum Jason, but here's a good guide for you Jake.
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/artic...-fe--1224.html

You got the jest of it. The basic idea is that the gas engine is more efficient under certain accelerations than when it's just trying to maintain speed. For the toyotas, the optimum acceleration curve takes a while to hit. If you slip off on either side you push power too or from the battery (which is inefficient).

Point is that acceleration is the part to learn here, and give it some time, takes a while to get the knack of.

I've been trying it for a few weeks, and have moved from 50's (when I first started trying it) to 60's. Be patient.

I'll defer to others here and elsewhere to tell you the best acceleration curve for the HCH.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What is pulse and glide?

Also, you can start learning at following page...
http://hybridcars.about.com/od/owner...seandglide.htm

Ken@Japan