What's that burning smell?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 07:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What's that burning smell?

I wish they put the "scoopy vent" in a better place. Mine gets a lot of dirt in it.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

I noticed that foam last week during a random check of my engine. It's very close to falling off. I'd love to know if I can rip this off or not, so anyone who hears an official word, please let us know. If it needs to stay, I suppose I could find a way to secure it more permanently.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:02 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Mine was pretty loose too. I took it off for now, but am pondering if it's worth reattaching more securely.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:04 AM
SPL

My foam is still in place. It seems to me that, if the double-sided tape that sticks the foam onto the (hot) radiator below, were instead on the top side of the foam, and stuck it onto the (cool) supporting bracket above, the problem likely wouldn't arise. If mine comes loose, I might try this. The purpose of the foam isn't clear to me, but perhaps it's to prevent air flow through this gap, and force it through the radiator.

Stan

Old 04-28-2007, 07:53 AM
Recent Hybrid convert

Originally Posted by SPL
My foam is still in place. It seems to me that, if the double-sided tape that sticks the foam onto the (hot) radiator below, were instead on the top side of the foam, and stuck it onto the (cool) supporting bracket above, the problem likely wouldn't arise.
that's weird?!? My foam is still in place as well (I just checked yesterday when bringing it in for my 10K so-called "maintenance"). But my double-side tape is stuck to the frame/bracket above, not the radiator. Well... it's actually stuck at ~45 degrees above the radiator (vs. 90 degrees, i.e. directly on top above), i.e more towards the front of the car. That said, the tape pieces are not glued to the radiator itself. The whole contraption does feel kindly flimsy, though, I have to admit.

Originally Posted by SPL
The purpose of the foam isn't clear to me, but perhaps it's to prevent air flow through this gap, and force it through the radiator
Mmmm, not a bad theory! Stan, your observations/contributions are always very helpful, thanks!

Last edited by HybridFan; 04-29-2007 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:19 PM

My foam is in place and doesn't look like it is going anywhere any time soon.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:50 PM

At 15K miles my foam was in place. However now at 18K miles it has come loose... I've removed it to avoid the chance of it resting against the catalytic converter and causing the burning smell others have reported. There was no "sticky" material left on the foam. If anyone knows of a good reason to replace it, let us know! Otherwise I am not going to worry about it.

Here is a photo of the loose foam before I removed it today:

Old 05-12-2007, 06:13 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by nash
At 15K miles my foam was in place. However now at 18K miles it has come loose... I've removed it to avoid the chance of it resting against the catalytic converter and causing the burning smell others have reported. There was no "sticky" material left on the foam. If anyone knows of a good reason to replace it, let us know! Otherwise I am not going to worry about it.
I'd replace it, rather than leaving it off. The foam is obviously part of the sound deadining effort and with it gone, highway driving may be noisier.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the picture, Nash. I couldn't find the foam in my car when this was being discussed previously. I just checked and sure enough I have one, too. Mine is not hanging down as yours. It is actually located resting on the bottom of the same area. If mine were to come loose it would have to lift up first.

I'll keep a watch on it, but now I see where it belongs if it comes loose.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

I wonder if this is a KY vs Japan issue?

Quick Reply: What's that burning smell?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands