Where the heck is the oil filter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 08:18 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Where the heck is the oil filter?

But how you you reset the service interval counter?

Old 08-01-2006, 09:49 AM
Enthusiast

If the front of the TCH is North then the oil filter is East ( right ) of the oil pan. It's pretty small and fits right up against the pan.

You will not be able to use an oil wrench or strap to remove it. One of the filter removal tools that fits on the bottom of the filter is best.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:56 AM
WVGasGuy

But how you you reset the service interval counter?

I believe I remember seeing that covered in the owners manual

Old 08-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

From page 145 of the manual, Resetting the engine oil maintenance data:

1. Turn off the engine with the trip meter A reading showing

2. Ignition switch set ON while holding down the trip meter reset ****. The message "OIL MILEAGE RESET MODE" will appear on the display.

3. Hold down the trip meter **** at least 5 seconds. "COMPLETE" will appear, then the message "OIL MILEAGE RESET" goes off.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Enthusiast

Thx. It's not in the Canadian manual.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

Anyone ever find where the filter is and/or have a pic to share?

Old 08-08-2006, 02:52 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I found it, it is basically between the ICE Oil pan and the front right wheel, it is kind of recessed whihc is why you don't see it when you look underneath. It point striaght up and down. Looks like the only way to get the filter off is using one of those wrenchs that fits on the end of the filter as the entire filter is recessed and you can't really get anything that will wrap around the sides of the filter, you need to us something to grab the end. Looks like I should be able to di it myself, the ground clearance is better than my TL was, so we'll see what kind of mess this will be.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, kluken.

If you do happen to change your own oil and want to snap a few pictures for a noob like me, I'd much appreciate it. In the 'share' section of greenhybrid, theres a guy who did his prius oil change and photojournaled it all the way.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Eskimonio
Thanks for the info, kluken.

If you do happen to change your own oil and want to snap a few pictures for a noob like me, I'd much appreciate it. In the 'share' section of greenhybrid, theres a guy who did his prius oil change and photojournaled it all the way.
I'll see, but I will let you know what it is like. I rarely jack the car up or put it on ramps so getting any meaningful pics would be hard. Contrary to what most people do I do my oil changes ona cold car after it has sat over night so that I know as much oil as possible is in the bottom of the pan and not scattered throughout the engine.

Old 08-27-2006, 08:57 AM

Well with 1800 miles on my TCH I decided to do the oil. Looks like Mobil lists the 2007 TCH so I picked up a M-103 filter and 5 quarts of Mobil1 0W20. Boy is that stuff rare, had to go to 2 walmarts, one had 3 quarts and I picked up some more at another. I didn't take pictures becasue from my view there is nothing to really see. I never jack up or put the car on ramps to do oil. I beleive the best way to do oil is after the car has been idle for 4-5 hours. This usually means first AM oil change for me. Why do I want all the oil up top, I want to drain everything I can that has settled while the car has been idle. I have done it this way for 20 years. OK on with the process. I also picked up a Toyota filer to have as a spare. The best way to get the filter off is with one of those cap claamps that fits over the end of the filter and then you use a 1/2 inch socket wrench. You will also need an extenion of about 4-6 inches as the filter is recessed, tucked up next to the oil pan. You won't see it if you look under the car. If you look under the car from the front to the left of the drain plug the oil pan has a curved corner at the front right, closest to you and the right front tire. You slide the end cap wrench ont he filter and make sure it is snug and then just loosen the filter. One of the advantages of this straigh up and down is if the car has been sitting literally no oil will spill out. I was able to loosen and remove the filter without a drop of oil coming out. This is good, because there is no room for you hand and a drain pan under the filter. The Mobil1 M-103 is a tad shorter than the Toyota filter, but is the same diameter so the same end cap wrench will work. I simply put some oil on the new filter's gasket and hand tightened it then used the end carp wrench to go 1/4 turn more. The drain pug is angled down and toward the side and uses a 14mm socket. The height of the car on the ground is tall enough to get one of those low profile drain pans under the car, so I loosen the plug with the socket, then slide the drain pan under and slide my fingers in there to loosen the drain pug until it fall into the pan. As a side note, as a saftey precaution I always have a spare drain plug and a few extra drain plug washers. I let the pan drain for several minutes until there is only drips coming out. I then slide a rag under the drain hoel as I remove the drain pan so I can get my hand back in there to put the drain plug and new washer back in. Thats it, not very messy, actually one of the easier cars I have had to do oil on in some time. The filler hole on the valve cover has something under it so you can not use a funnel to refill the oil, you need to carefully just pour the oil into the filler hole. Car calls for 4.3 quarts with a new filter I always put a few ounces more in so I did 4.5 and thats it! We'll see if it helps my MPG or engine smoothness. I have been a huge fan of Synthetics since 1991 when I tried it on a Celica and it made a huge difference in the smoothness of the engine, especially at initial cold startup.

Quick Reply: Where the heck is the oil filter?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands