Where is the TCH Manufactured?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Enthusiast
Default Where is the TCH Manufactured?

Hey guys, I am seriously looking at purchasing a TCH for import into Canada and one of the things that will dramatically affect the decision is where the vehicle is manufactured. According to NAFTA, all vehicles produced in North America do not pay a duty but all vehicles made outside of North America are faced with a 6.1% duty. The question is, where are the TCHs made? From eBay Motors, one of the places that lists VINs, most of the TCH have VINs that start with '4', meaning manuafactured in the USA but some start with 'J', meaning Japan.

So the question is, where are the made in general? There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why some are from the US and some are from Japan. Model years do not seem to correspond to vehicles made in specific places and I can't see a pattern. Perhaps the GreenHybrid crew can help out ...

Also, if you know a state that likely has the TCH in stock, please share that information as well. Cheers

Old 08-19-2008, 10:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Where is the TCH Manufactured?

The '09 TCH I referred to yesterday, was manufac. in Georgetown, Kentucky. However, much of the hybrid components seem to have been made in Japan (by Denso). Like I wrote, I bought it here in Calgary...conforming with Can. standards is where you'll find the key to a U.S. purchase (we opted to go with a Canadian purchase, as we had no clue where to get the 'upgrades' completed) - watch for warranties, daytime running lights, engine imobilizers, etc.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

If you live in Canada then you should probably get your car in Canada. It will probably simplify issues such as the payment of sales tax, registration, warranty service, etc. If you buy the car in the US the odometer will also be in miles instead of kilometers.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:51 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

However I believe there are also some features which are turned off in Canadian cars but enabled in US cars. Can't remember what though, someone else might be able to help.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Driving in stealth mode

If I remember right one of the main things missing with the NAV versions is the hybrid info. I thought that was one of the things I remember the people from Canada complaining about.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chestr
However I believe there are also some features which are turned off in Canadian cars but enabled in US cars. Can't remember what though, someone else might be able to help.
Nav was only available as a dealer install on the 2007 model in Canada which meant you got the Nav intended for a regular Camry XLE with no hybrid functions, not sure about the 2008 models. Factory Nav apparently available on 2009 models in Canada.

Tire pressure monitoring was not available on the 2007 model in Canada, not sure if it is available yet.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

My (Canadian) 09 does not have TPMS

Any ideas what it would take to get it (besides the valve stem sensors).

Old 08-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Enthusiast

Odd - our '09 has the tire pressure monitor. We were also given the option to order the Nav. (but this was also conditional on taking the leather heated seats - package 'C', now - the base is package 'B') for an additional $5000.00. We opted not to, however...

As I remember, the tire pressure monitor is somewhere on the passenger side of the TCH...or was that near the clock? I would ask the dealership where exactly it's located...or, if I had the inclination, the manual...

Oh yeah, the base ('B' package) also now includes the moonroof, 8-way adjustable driver's seat, rear seat reading lights, lights above both vanity mirrors, and a funky auto-tinting rearview mirror which senses light coming from behind so you never have to flip it up or down to lessen glare...

Old 08-21-2008, 09:18 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I believe that the only differences between the Canadian and US TCHs is that the Canadian models do not have:
  • hybrid information on the NAV in 2007/8 models
  • defeatable daytime running lights (a legal requirement)
  • the tire pressure monitoring system
  • the "maintenance due" reminder message/reset
And, of course, the Canadian models show everything in metric units. This is often not just a software issue; for example, the instrument clusters are different. I believe that some of the ECUs are also differently programmed for the Canadian market, and their firmware is probably not user upgradable.

Stan

Last edited by SPL; 08-22-2008 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Added the comments after the bullet points.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

no hybrid on the nav? ouch I love that.

Quick Reply: Where is the TCH Manufactured?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands