Whirrrring sound comming to a stop.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 08:20 AM
Active Enthusiast
Post Whirrrring sound comming to a stop.

As a new TCH owner I'm enjoying the differences from driving my Maxima, especially at the gas pump. I'll get to the point

When I come to a stop I hear a Whirrrr that seems to be the CVT resetting itself back to "low" or first gear if it had one. This sound does not coincide with the regen brakes, in fact comes when the car is almost stopped. Am I guessing correcctly?

Your opinions please

Old 09-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Whirrrring sound comming to a stop.

I get that too. It sounds like a servo or pump. Does the sound you hear come on for like 3 seconds and then click off?

The TCH has some additional hardware that makes different sounds. After I park my car, I can sometimes hear my car doing things up to 20 seconds later as well. I haven't done any research on these sounds, but they sound very normal to me (no grinding or scary noises). I think the vehicle does "maintenance" or calibration on itself after each trip.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

As a new hybrid owner, you will hear lots of new whirrs, bells, and whistles, as the HSD resets itself and shuts down. In fact, your HSD will make a whole bunch of clicks as it shuts itself down about 5 minutes after you power off the car. The whirr that you hear while slowing down is related to the regen braking, as well as the CVT lowering the gear ratio as the speed decreases.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:19 PM
Active Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: Whirrrring sound comming to a stop.

Yah. Sounds like the CVT changing gear ratios. Sure wish I could see a drawing of the inside of the CVT, it must be verrrry interesting.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Al Froio
Yah. Sounds like the CVT changing gear ratios. Sure wish I could see a drawing of the inside of the CVT, it must be verrrry interesting.
Check out this thread with great links. The eahart link has a cool PDS (power splitting device) demo which explains why the car can only go 42 MPH under EV only:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...orum.9883.html

Old 09-20-2006, 05:06 AM
Enthusiast

May be one of the squirrels trying to get out of the cage lol.

Old 09-20-2006, 07:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

Incredible links!! And some folks still can't figure out why Toyota beats the Big 3. Thanks to all for your replies.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes It takes about 3 seconds to make the transition. I am sure it's in the CVT.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Sounds like regen braking and the CVT to me, as flopshot said. My FEH does the same thing, as well as a high pitched fairly quiet (can't hear it with radio on) generator hum when I'm in electric-only mode. It's slightly audible outside the vehicle, as well, particularly when coming off a stop.

In other words, normal operating feature, not a bug.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Enthusiast

It is a normal sound and may be from the electric motor but ours does it and another I test drove.

Quick Reply: Whirrrring sound comming to a stop.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands