Why is the media against Hybrids?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Why is the media against Hybrids?

Everytime I turn around I see some bull crap article like this one that has some dumb inflated price for Hybrids. Why in the F#$k do they compare a Hybrid to a base model?? They always do that. It needs to be compared to an XLE not a CE!

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14922134/

Old 09-21-2006, 11:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Why is the media against Hybrids?

I don't know if they do it on purpose, or if they're just too @#$% lazy to do their job properly. Yes, the prices are accurate, but they don't list the standard equipment on the hybrid which would raise the price of the Camry CE (or LE for that matter).Overall she liked the car so I don't think she was trying to bash it. She was just too lazy to find out about the long list of standard features in the hybrid.

Last edited by lakedude; 09-22-2006 at 01:30 AM. Reason: profanity
Old 09-21-2006, 11:28 AM

She did like it, but that one piece of inaccurate info makes the whole car seam non-appealing to consumers. I would not pay $6600 premium for a Hybrid, but I would also not buy a CE eaither.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:44 PM
Banned

This has been commented on often
  • Reviers often cut and paste other's findings - not professional
  • Test drivers are using performance cars as their guide - most hybrids are designed for driving at the speed limits optimially
  • The general public's foot has gotten heavier the past twenty years.
  • Some peg hybrid drivers as environmentalists, left-wingers, etc...
  • Fear of new technology
  • Attention spans are shorter, but hybrids require greater attention to get the most out of them.

Old 09-21-2006, 05:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

The discussion of price is pretty lazily written:
Starting manufacturer’s suggested retail price, including destination charge, is high for this model. It’s $26,480 and includes a continuously variable transmission (CVT) that a driver operates like an automatic, plus some uplevel amenities such as eight-way, power driver’s seat.

This compares with a starting price of $19,900 for a base Camry CE with four-cylinder engine, automatic transmission and six-way, manual driver’s seat and $23,920 for the lowest-priced Camry with V-6 and automatic.

What is one to conclude from that set of arbitrarily chosen prices and factoids?

Old 09-21-2006, 06:51 PM

Well the title says this : "Test drive: Camry hybrid pricey, but high mpg"

And a subtitle says this "$6,600 more than gas sibling"

Old 09-21-2006, 08:40 PM
Enthusiast

A more carefully researched article comparing apples to apples as far as options are concerned might conclude the increased costs for the Hybrid are in the $3000 range, and there is the vanishing tax credit to discuss. But that would take some thinking, writing, editing and time. Lazy is the right word.

Old 09-22-2006, 01:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

What's wrong with being an environmentalist? Anyone who likes clean air and water is an envorinmnentalist.

Left wingers? If being a left-wing guy means that I demand action from my government to reduce the influence of corporations and increase the influence of middle class citizens on how my country is run, then let me be guilty.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:47 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

A local news anchor by the name of Don Shelby actually got it right (in my opinion) when he said:

Sure, financially - it may not make a lot of sense right now given that your fuel dollar savings probably won't outweigh the additional cost for the hybrid - however - you're making a couple of other statments in the purchase of the hybrid;
1) The public is not only interested in hybrids, but willing to buy them - this is the most important statement to the auto manufacturers.
2) You're willing to make an investment in the future of this planet by purchasing a vehicle that pollutes less.

My wife and I fit that mold to a "T" and are making the investment for both reasons.

Call me a tree hugger - that's fine. I've been called worse....

Old 09-22-2006, 05:33 AM
WVGasGuy

A local news anchor by the name of Don Shelby actually got it right (in my opinion) when he said:

Sure, financially - it may not make a lot of sense right now given that your fuel dollar savings probably won't outweigh the additional cost for the hybrid

Unfortunately though that's not actually a correct statement and it's making people think the TCH is a lot more than a comparably equiped Camry. At least for the early purchaser who will get the Fed Tax Credit, I'm guessing it's a break even proposition. For some of us lucky one's witha State Tax Credit, I have gotten my loaded TCH for much less than a similarly equiped loaded XLE after discount.

BTY, I'm no tree hugger, but I'm not opposed to less polution

Quick Reply: Why is the media against Hybrids?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands