Wind!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 04:10 AM
blahhhhhh!
Default Wind!

I believe I've read about 98% of the threads in this forum, and I don't think anyone has ever mentioned what a drain wind is on MPG. Driving home a few days ago, we were having 60-70 mph winds and my trip home, which usually averages about 32 mpg dropped to 28... I hate to say it, but give me a foot of snow any day

Has anyone else driven in similar conditions? How much did your MPG drop?

Old 01-11-2008, 04:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Wind!

Originally Posted by KTLane
.. I hate to say it, but give me a foot of snow any day...
Sure, it's easier to take a day off from work with the snow excuse than it is to tell the boss "Sorry I can't make it in to work today, it's too windy!"

Old 01-11-2008, 04:34 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I believe I've read about 98% of the threads in this forum, and I don't think anyone has ever mentioned what a drain wind is on MPG. Driving home a few days ago, we were having 60-70 miles per hour winds and my trip home, which usually averages about 32 mpg dropped to 28... I hate to say it, but give me a foot of snow any day

Has anyone else driven in similar conditions? How much did your MPG drop?
Yes......the wind will lower your mpg rating. So will cold temperatures, as i'm sure you already know. It's probably not as noticable on a car without an instant MPG reading. If it's a head or cross-wind.........it will most certainly lower your MPG. Just basic physics!!

Old 01-11-2008, 04:36 AM
blahhhhhh!

hahahah, you have a point!

unless you're like my friend who has a 20(?) year old volvo... the wind ripped her door off!!

...But I think I've talked her into getting a hybrid camry!

Old 01-11-2008, 04:42 AM
blahhhhhh!

Originally Posted by CJO2007CamryHyb
So will cold temperatures, as i'm sure you already know.
oh, believe me, I KNOW

it went from -10 last week to +50 this week. My second to last tank was 28 mpg, my last one was 35!

Originally Posted by CJO2007CamryHyb
It's probably not as noticable on a car without an instant MPG reading.
You're right, i don't remember my MPGs fluctuating as much in any other vehicle... my envoy and g6 only had trip MPG readings that I never ever reset, so it was more like a lifetime mpg... Now that I have the camry I always have the Consumption (reminds me of the sickness from the 1800s?) screen up so I can look at that bar graph.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

I know that non-hybrid cars also have their mpg suffer in the colder weather due to longer warm-up times. I wonder if this effect is more pronounced in the hybrids, or about the same between hybrids and non-hybrids. I think we hybrid drivers just notice it more because we are more mindful of milage.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by chris_h
I think we hybrid drivers just notice it more because we are more mindful of milage.
Yes. I agree.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Don't forget the wind works the other way too.

With a good tailwind you can get insane mileage - 55+ (MPG) on the expressway!

Old 01-12-2008, 01:43 AM

We live in the country 8 miles south of the city. Ever since buying the TCH back in July, I have driven to town at 47/48 mph. If there is a very strong wind from the north I will drop down to 40 mph. Over time I found with and without the wind the mpg was close to the same. We usually get back home after dark and by then the wind has usually died down.

Back in my drag racing days I learned that even a decent wind hitting the side of a car can sure cause wind resistance. That could cause a real mpg problem on a long trip. I usually travel at 60 on trips. If its a long 600 mile trip, I would probably drive 65.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:16 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

oh, believe me, I KNOW

it went from -10 last week to +50 this week. My second to last tank was 28 mpg, my last one was 35!

You're right, i don't remember my MPGs fluctuating as much in any other vehicle... my envoy and g6 only had trip MPG readings that I never ever reset, so it was more like a lifetime mpg... Now that I have the camry I always have the Consumption (reminds me of the sickness from the 1800s?) screen up so I can look at that bar graph.
Yes.............it's a good thing to know what your MPG is at any given time, to an extent. It also makes you worry about it too much as well. I try and not think about it that much...........though i still do quite often!

Quick Reply: Wind!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands