Windshield "cloudiness" - cannot be cleaned off

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Windshield "cloudiness" - cannot be cleaned off

Originally Posted by HTDUC
Have you had your eyes checked recently?
My wife and I both see the cloudiness in the windshield. We do not see it in other cars. In addition, it is not a simple cloudiness but has an actual pattern that looks somewhat like drips.

Although subtle and difficult to describe, I have absolutely no doubt that it is in the glass.

Will Mayall

Old 01-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Enthusiast

Is this a new thing on the current cars that are coming out, or was this glass only installed on the first line of Camry's?

Old 01-28-2007, 04:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobbywalnuts
Is this a new thing on the current cars that are coming out, or was this glass only installed on the first line of Camry's?
Our car was # 3,600, i.e. an early build.

Will Mayall

Old 01-28-2007, 04:47 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mayall
Our car was # 3,600, i.e. an early build.

Will Mayall
Mine is #2326 and came rite fron Jay-Pan. No bad windows

Old 01-28-2007, 04:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skywagon
Mine is #2326 and came rite fron Jay-Pan. No bad windows
Have a passenger focus on the windshield at night when there is oncoming traffic. Since it is new glass, it should be so clear that it should be essentially invisible (assuming it is clean).

Thanks,

Will Mayall

Old 01-28-2007, 04:58 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mayall
Have a passenger focus on the windshield at night when there is oncoming traffic. Since it is new glass, it should be so clear that it should be essentially invisible (assuming it is clean).

Thanks,

Will Mayall
Will, My wife is really fussy about dirty windows (even on the house) and if she would notice it I would hear about it lol

Old 01-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skywagon
Will, My wife is really fussy about dirty windows (even on the house) and if she would notice it I would hear about it lol
Thanks.

I'm kind of hoping that this is not isolated to my TCH. It took me quite awhile to even believe it myself. I tried numerous times to clean the window.

Will Mayall

Old 01-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Enthusiast

Let us know how it turns out.

If you noticed it from day one it is definitely a manufacturing defect, or damage caused while in overseas transit. Knowing Toyota's QC standards, my guess is something etched the glass while in transit. Who knows what could have landed on the glass on the ship or at port.

My only concern would be how the dealer will react since it has been several months and over 1,000 miles later that you are first reporting the defect.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:30 PM
Enthusiast

I am going to have my dealer replace the glass. The post describing the defect as a "sandblasted" look is very accurate. My car had less that 500 miles on it when I first reported the issue to the dealer.

I am convinced that it has something to do with the embedded polymer that they put in the glass to reduce the noise transfer through the glass.

The sunburst effect caused by the defect is very distracting and can even be dangerous under the right lighting conditions - direct headlights or sunlight.

Anyhow, will let the group know if the new glass looks any better.

Brian

Old 01-29-2007, 01:24 PM
Enthusiast

I thought it was just my car, that wasn't washed properly at the dealer. Certain mornings when the back windshield is foggy I can see the suction cups clearly imprinted on the window. I have washed and cleaned the several times and still 4 months later they are still there.

Has anyone experienced this?

Hector

Quick Reply: Windshield "cloudiness" - cannot be cleaned off

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands