Windshield "cloudiness" - cannot be cleaned off

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 06:12 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Windshield "cloudiness" - cannot be cleaned off

I also have the same effect on my windshield. It looks like someone dusted the windshield with hairspray and is very distracting when driving into the sun. I was able to take almost all of it off with a single edge razor blade after thoroughly cleaning the windshield first. I think it may be overspray from the clearcoating process. I'm going to finish the job when the weather gets warmer.

Try it. It beats a trip to the dealer and it's certainly better than replacing a windshield and the possible leaks afterward.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I noticed my windshield was noticeably clearer after I first treated it with RainX. I don't know if RainX removed any coating, or just leaves a cleaner surface after treating the windshield.

That said, I don't notice any hazing or other marks on the windshield, even when driving into the late afternoon sun.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Enthusiast

Folks,

Before replacing any glass, I would definitely recommend trying any of the usually available "glass stripper" products. Usually, you apply these with lots of elbow grease, then rinse it off with a hose, and then repeat and repeat and repeat until NO water sticks to the glass anymore. Once you get there, then you've truly got nothing "on" your glass mucking it up.

Head to your favorite auto parts store, spend five bucks, and then an afternoon really putting some work into it. If you still have a problem after that, I sure think you can call it a "certified" problem!

Old 01-30-2007, 05:59 AM
Enthusiast

I thought it was just my car, that wasn't washed properly at the dealer. Certain mornings when the back windshield is foggy I can see the suction cups clearly imprinted on the window. I have washed and cleaned the several times and still 4 months later they are still there.

Has anyone experienced this?

Hector
I had the same problem. All I did was use Windex and newspapers on the inside of the windshield and rear windows and everything was crystal clear.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:26 AM
Enthusiast

Interesting thought....I bet this stuff is overspray from the "paint sealant" they apply at the port of entry..my car was made in Japan.

I will try a razor blade and some glycerin and see if that helps.

Thanks

Old 02-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Griot's Garage glass polish... does wonders for getting embedded stuff out of your windshield. Used twice a year, along with RainX or similar product, and you can drive in rain showers without using your wipers!

Old 02-02-2007, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast

Whew, I have the suction cups mark on my car as well - I thought it was just me....Has anyone actually tried to have the dealer replace the windshield? What were the results?

Old 02-05-2007, 09:11 AM
old fart

In the early 50s i had a friend that detailed cars at the plymoth dealership and he used power bon ami to clean the windshields and i have used it for yrs.on my new cars.gets rid of the film on windows caused by crap in the air at factorys

Old 02-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mayall
I tried numerous times to clean the window.
Partial success!

After suggestions from this list, I found a mild abrasive window cleaner called "Glass Science, Glass Scrub, Cream Cleanser". The paste has the appearance and smell of toothpaste.

After much scrubbing, the windshield has improved. I must have been wrong in thinking that the cloudiness was inside the glass. I have not been able to completely remove the cloudiness but I'm pretty sure some more scrubbing will remove it.

Thanks list.

Will Mayall

Old 02-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ok. I promised I would post results when I finished the job so here goes. I finally cleaned ALL of the junk off the front and back windows. It was simple and cheap but time consuming. First I 'dusted' the window with plain old Windex just so I could see where I was scrapeing. Then I lightly scraped the windows with a single edged razor blade, slightly overlappig each pass over the window. Then I cleaned the windows with Windex and a microfiber shop cloth( they're 20 for 10 bucks at Costco) Presto!! Crystal clear windows for the first time since I bought the car in October.

Quick Reply: Windshield "cloudiness" - cannot be cleaned off

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands