Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Windshield cost (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/windshield-cost-17530/)

canadianguy53 03-25-2008 02:48 PM

Windshield cost

I just had to replace my windshield!!!! i was shocked by the price i had to pay!!!! I took quotes from 3 places here in Toronto Canada and was amazed at the price gap between the regular Camry and the Hybrid. For the reg Camry i was quoted the lowest $475 to the highest $625. Here we go for the Hybrid i was quoted $925 lowest to $1400 highest. When i asked why the big diference from reg Camry to Hybrid i was told that the Hybrid has a sound dampening windshield and that the mirror has a special conx on the windshield???Any way i had to get it fixed and paid $975 and they came to my house and installed it. I asked if the windshield comes with a gold rim but was told sorry sir the new toyota,s are all rimless.

WMConey 03-26-2008 08:57 AM

Re: Windshield cost

My numbers to follow will be in US dollars. I assume you were giving Canadian & I'm not sure of the exchange rate.

Anyway, about 8 months ago I had to replace my 07TCH windshield. The dealer wanter $1200 for the glass, $50 to install. I called around to glass shops, making sure they were qoting the special Hybrid glass, and was quoted $425 to $525.

haroldo 03-26-2008 09:42 AM

Just called GEICO.
Windshields are covered under Comprehensive.
I was paying $33.30/six months for a $1,000 deductible.
I just lowered my deductible to $200 for an extra $8/six months.
This thread scared me into it.

jbollt 03-26-2008 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo (Post 166247)
Just called GEICO.

In AZ I have no deductible for windshields...actually, it is called "safety glass" that has no deductible. I think it is required here in AZ that the insurance companies provide this coverage, but not sure.

Sooty 03-26-2008 10:26 AM

Just recently asked my dealer here in Calgary, Canada about the cost of replacing my windshield and was quoted "about" $675.

I thought that was expensive but compared to others here it appears to be quite reasonable.

schmidtj 03-26-2008 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by canadianguy53 (Post 166179)
I just had to replace my windshield!!!! i was shocked by the price i had to pay!!!! I took quotes from 3 places here in Toronto Canada and was amazed at the price gap between the regular Camry and the Hybrid. For the reg Camry i was quoted the lowest $475 to the highest $625. Here we go for the Hybrid i was quoted $925 lowest to $1400 highest. When i asked why the big diference from reg Camry to Hybrid i was told that the Hybrid has a sound dampening windshield and that the mirror has a special conx on the windshield???Any way i had to get it fixed and paid $975 and they came to my house and installed it. I asked if the windshield comes with a gold rim but was told sorry sir the new toyota,s are all rimless.

I always thought Comprehensive car insurance (damage due to other than collision) was relatively cheap. I carry a $0 deductible as well and it covers windshield damage.

raven77 03-26-2008 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo (Post 166247)
Just called GEICO.

WOW. I am with Gieco also, and if thats all it costs to lower the deductable, I will be doing that ASAP since mine is currently at $1000.
Thanks for the info!

johnnyjk2000xp 03-26-2008 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by WMConey (Post 166240)
My numbers to follow will be in US dollars. I assume you were giving Canadian & I'm not sure of the exchange rate.

Anyway, about 8 months ago I had to replace my 07TCH windshield. The dealer wanter $1200 for the glass, $50 to install. I called around to glass shops, making sure they were qoting the special Hybrid glass, and was quoted $425 to $525.

Exchange Rate? Today's US dollar? I would say US$1.00 to CA$1.00 :(

rmorrow 03-27-2008 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyjk2000xp (Post 166300)
Exchange Rate? Today's US dollar? I would say US$1.00 to CA$1.00 :(

Yup. Which is why I cannot understand why Canadian prices are still up to 50% higher than American for the same product.

flopshot 03-27-2008 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by canadianguy53 (Post 166179)

This is your first post so I will just let you know that this subject has been written about several times in the past 2 years. Search for a topic and almost every thing about the TCH has already been discussed. Here are two threads related to this topic.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...d-1200-a-9229/

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ld-crack-9663/