Windshield/dash noise findings

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Windshield/dash noise findings

I used to build model airplanes using a corrugated plastic. Once the wing got in pretty bad shape after a crash. I called around town to some sign companies. I found one that had a selection of various thicknesses of this plastic. I went to have a look and found the selection was like 1/16" to 3/8". Various thickness's and various colors. It's easy to cut using scissors. The thicker I used a exacto knife.

Might be worth a try. The thicker has more resistance to any crushing.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Malcontent

Some 50-packs of DVD-R media have a foam rubber donut for cushioning the stack of discs. I used 3 of them spaced along the dash.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Camry Freak

I got my car back from the dealership this morning. The rattles are gone, and the interior still looks fine. All dash panels still line up, there are no scrapes or damage, and I couldn't be happier with the results.

It is a very long and difficult process. The dealer had to not only take the upper part of the dash off, but much of the lower dash as well. They allowed me to look at it when they were about 1/2 done, and it was kind of scary. The radio and much of the center console, shifter, glove box, and speedometer were all taken off and were placed on shelves near the car. The steering wheel was on the front seat, and the steering column, still attached to the wheel, was disconnected.

While the tech who fixed my car did an outstanding job- I would understand how someone would be nervous with letting a dealer do this job. With so many pieces that have to be removed and reattached, Extreme attention to detail is required. If the person who does the job isn't careful, I'm sure you could end up with horrible rattles and mediocre fit-and-finish.

That said, if you trust your dealer, I would recommend this process. The TSB works great... and I'm extremely satisfied.

If you are interested, the dealer that performed this service was Wilde Toyota in West Allis, Wisconsin. (near Milwaukee) The tech who worked on my car was named Nate S.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

The 4 inch strip off a roll of $4.00 felt stuffed between the dash and glass just to the left of the right speaker was still working for me when I traded the TCH in last Saturday for a loaded '08 Highlander Hybrid.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Enthusiast

I got my dash rattles fixed yesterday. I stuffed some card board for about a month but finally got time to go to the service center to get it fixed.

They did not take the whole dash out. The procedure took about a day but since it started snowing here in MD they coudlnt road test the car, so i left it over night.

I am very happy with the results!! I think its totally worth it since its free, no scratches/marks or anything, car looks same as before.

I went to 355 toyotas in Rockville, MD