Xcel had a 64.7 MPG run in a TCH

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 03:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Xcel had a 64.7 MPG run in a TCH

In the course of today's errands I reset my NAV screen and re-traced as much of the city driving route that previously gave me 80+ MPG.

For 10 minutes, I drove this generally flat surface street route, and took a pic to show today's 83.5 MPG results. Following this test, I did another 25 minutes of freeway driving at 65 MPH, for a net trip total of 52.2 MPG. (Additional pics available for a small handling fee. Just kidding!)

Lots of people will see find it possible to achieve high mileage numbers at specific times under the right circumstances. Still, my tank fill today (#3) gave me *only* 38.1 MPG overall. So, the occasional "peak moments" don't mean much about one's sustainable mileage, but still it's fun to shoot for the occasional highs.

NOTE: After today's run, I deleted my 99.9 MPG 'best.' Had just been keeping it to stir up more trouble online, hehe.

Last edited by stevenvillatoro; 06-25-2006 at 01:22 AM.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:23 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Xcel had a 64.7 MPG run in a TCH

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro

To satisfy the Mileage Police, in the course of today's errands I reset my NAV screen and re-traced as much of the city driving route that previously gave me 80+ MPG.

re:mileage police. okay... we get it. you are annoyed with folks who ask for a pix. give it a break please!

Old 06-24-2006, 07:00 PM

Coming in here very late...

- Steve- awesome, inspiring work! Once upon a time here you would be getting loads of positive attention, and not a shred of doubt.

- 60mpg is 50ish percent over EPA estimate... look at the top Insighter and HCH1 drivers, sitting at the same % over their respective estimates. (Was this covered earlier in the thread?). I see no big deal.

- I have not read through this entire (very long) thread... techniques in use to achieve these results? How about focusing on what Steve is doing and learning from it, as we would have a year ago here? Seems like he's been upfront: level roads, specific segments being talked about...

Still, whenever one comes out with results that are outside the existing norms even by a reasonable amount, it is a good idea to volunteer evidence prior to getting hounded. That's not cynicism, but part of normal scientific rigor. It also tends to stop arguments before they start.

Old 06-24-2006, 07:58 PM
Enthusiast

Why should he give it a break when it was an HCH driver that was questioning him about his mpg in a camry forum? Thus, we are happy he could take a photo to show that he was not "fibbing" about his mpg, just as requested... and he took 2 photos of two different stories to make it even better. Keep it up Steve. GOod Job!

Old 06-24-2006, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by aslterp7
Why should he give it a break when it was an HCH driver that was questioning him about his mpg in a camry forum?
The reason for the "questioning" in the first place is so that our readers do not get the wrong idea and start expecting the TCH to be getting 60mpg at 65mph "all day long" which it clearly does not. We don't need posts titled "How come I can't get 60mpg in my TCH" now do we?

If a reader wants to know what they can expect out of their TCH they can view the database and draw their own conclusions. The average of the TCHs is currently 37.2mpg not 60mpg.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/...mryhybrid.html

For the record I have nothing against the TCH and in fact may get one myself someday. I'm a fan not an enemy combatant. In hindsight I should have PMed Steve about the pics instead of posting in public, sorry. You now have a public apology for my error.

Old 06-24-2006, 11:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aslterp7
Why should he give it a break when it was an HCH driver that was questioning him about his mpg in a camry forum?

i've read a lot of lakedude's posts and i personally don't find him hch or honda biased. if anything, i've found that he likes all hybrids (well, he's not technically a fan of the hch cvt belt and pulley sysetm). i think his concern for making public statements (whether they're about honda or toyota mpg) that could misinform people is well founded. keep in mind this isn't a turf match. most of us are hybrid owners and that's the tie that binds us.

Last edited by nbalthaser; 06-24-2006 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:18 AM
Arrow Re: Xcel had a 64.7 MPG run in a TCH

Lakedude, thank you for your follow-up private messages and your posted comments tonight. I received a very nice message from Jason, as well, and know that everyone who contributed comments has offered mindful thoughts on how we can keep our forum supportive and warm-spirited.

We are ALL interested in having a great forum, and I think that although this particular topic has been uncomfortable at times, the joint commitment and support by forum participants, moderators, and greenhybrid management for an authentic resolution has led to a healthier understanding and more respectful regard for one another. We can now consider this matter well-resolved, from my point of view.

I appreciate everyone's kind public and private comments along the way, and the awareness of such friendship makes coming to greenhybrid even more special.

Thanks! (And now, back to our regularly-scheduled programming.)

Old 06-26-2006, 07:36 AM
Convert

Originally Posted by Freeze
I have a picture on my camera phone showing a tank average of my lovely TCH at 86.6 MPG...but I'm too cheap to send it to anybody (hey, it costs me 25 cents...ouch!)

How did I get such fuel effeciency? By filling the tank and immediately rolling down a big hill. You'll notice my signature milage is 36.??, which is only my first tank. Time will tell the ultimate average.
What you could do is take a picture of your camera phone with the image on its screen (assuming you have a digital camera, or have access to one). Then you can post that for free...

(Chris, I'm just kidding... you don't have to do that!)