Yet another Smart Key problem...(yes I did a search)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 05:53 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Yet another Smart Key problem...(yes I did a search)

Hey John,

I was thinking the same thing about using the 2 different FOBS, but it really shouldn't matter. However, this is something to keep in the back of my mind as a possible cause. It's nice (well not nice) to know that other people have experienced similar issues while trying to interchange the FOBS though...I thought maybe they weren't coded properly at the dealer or something, but the car is 1.5 years old so I ruled that out since someone has driven it before.

It's supposed to warm up here in the next day or two so I'll have to go out and play around with some things and really get to know this system so I don't take it for granted! The manual always shows you how to use something, but they never show you what to do if something goes wrong...

Haroldo...I totally agree with you! I've lived in the north all my life (northern Manitoba to be exact, south of Churchill if you know where that is...polar bears) and the coldest I have seen is -56C (-72C with the wind)....it's a bit brisk, but if you're dressed for it, it doesn't really phase you! However, I still can't wait for spring!!!

Old 01-30-2008, 06:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

...brrr!

Old 01-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well,

I checked to see if the problem was due to using different FOBs. OOPS, I couldn't replicate your complaint.

On MY car:

If the car is "ON", with the car doors open, I cannot lock the car doors using either the power door lock switch OR the manual door lock. (The locks operate, then immediately unlock again.) The only way I could have the door stay locked was to use the mechanical key.
Are you SURE that BF actually turned the car ON and not just in the archaic "ACC" position? (Never mind, I see that you said that the car was actually running.)
Second item: is it possible that YOUR key was being blocked by your body?

Two ways to keep this from happening again (needing to pre-warm-up the car): 1) park the car in your front/living room overnight. (Makes a GREAT conversation piece.) or 2) move to Florida (problem, it's one hell of a commute).

Last edited by JHSmith; 01-31-2008 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

If BOTH fobs were close to the car at the same time,,,,that could be a problem.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:45 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Not directly related to this issue but something to keep in mind if two people each have a FOB to the same car.
You CAN lock the second FOB in the car by using the LOCK button on the other FOB from outside the car.
Once you do this the only way to open the door is to use the UNLOCK button on the same FOB you used to lock it. Smartentry (walkup and touch the handle) won't do it.
Just something to remember because it isn't intuitive.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:49 AM
Old Boomer Techie
Thumbs up Re: Yet another Smart Key problem...(yes I did a search)

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Not directly related to this issue but something to keep in mind if two people each have a FOB to the same car.
You CAN lock the second FOB in the car by using the LOCK button on the other FOB from outside the car.
Once you do this the only way to open the door is to use the UNLOCK button on the same FOB you used to lock it. Smartentry (walkup and touch the handle) won't do it.
Just something to remember because it isn't intuitive.
Yep! And I couldn't find it in the manual either. My wife likes to leave her purse on the floor under the front part of the seat when we stop to eat on a trip. The only way I can lock the car is with my FOB. If I do, the only unlock that works is the button on the FOB!