Your MPG may never make the average (37MPG)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 04:39 PM
joe540ci
Default Your MPG may never make the average (37MPG)

Does anyone who lives in minnesota,wisconsin Northdakota,or any cold state have 37 MPG average or higher? I think its impossible to get high milage in a cold state. I also have a home in nevada and when my highlander is there I average 2 MPH higher. And in the summer I get much higher MPG. So would 36.4 mpg equate to a true 38.4 in all fairness???

Old 04-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Newbie and lovin' it!
Cool Re: Your MPG may never make the average (37MPG)

Over the last week, we have had temperatures about 20 degrees above average..highs in the mid to upper seventies....last tank averaged 39.5 displayed, 38.75 calculated. Turned cold yesterday, filled up and have driven 60 miles and am averaging 34.5 displayed.....that means I am probable really getting 33.5 or so. I got better than that in my 1988 T-bird with the 3.8L V6.......

Old 04-06-2007, 06:20 PM
iam4pack
Default Re: Your MPG may never make the average (37MPG)

Just completed my first tank. I filled up just after leaving the dealer's lot one week ago (btw, i'm not sure why the dealer didn't give me a full tank.) I got 37.5 mpg. It's been in the 30's all week in WI, and very windy. I checked the tire pressure and they we at 38 psi.

I traded in an '04 Prius and I averaged 45 mpg in the winter and 55 in the summer. Seems like the TCH is going to be about 10 mpg less than the Prius.

I can't wait for warmer weather! Gas just jumped today from $2.64 to $2.75!

Old 04-07-2007, 07:58 AM
Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by JOE540CI
So would 36.4 mpg equate to a true 38.4 in all fairness???
I like the idea of "adjusting" you mpg. It all kind of averages out in the end anyway. But I must admit that those warm weather people sure have an advantage compared to us in colder climates.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ericbecky
I like the idea of "adjusting" you mpg. It all kind of averages out in the end anyway. But I must admit that those warm weather people sure have an advantage compared to us in colder climates.

Of course the warm weather advantage is probably there no matter what car. So if they drove a Suburban and got 12 mpg we'd probably get 10. (I'm in NY).

Old 04-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Your MPG may never make the average (37MPG)

As an engineer and dedicated researcher on the TCH, I'm interested in the relationship between temperature and FE. I live in sunny Southern California so I have limited first-hand information. I do track the mileage on every tank and also note the % of time I travel on the highway as well as an approximate temperature for the tanks. I've developed a spreadsheet where I track this information.

However, the lowest temperature I have experienced was only 40 F and that for a short period of time.

A while back I tried to develop some approximations to define what temperature would do based on what others were reporting. I recognize that the length of the drive is a major determinant along with the amount of highway driving.

What I calculated was this:

80 F appears to be the ideal temperature for the TCH. Any higher and A/C begins to reduce mileage.

50 F seems to reduce mileage by ~5%
30 F seems to reduce mileage by ~10%
100 F seems to reduce mileage by ~8%

I only used data from those with at least a 30 minute average travel, and gave more weight to the information with those with a 60 minute commute.

I would be interested if anyone has any information which either confirms my calculations or shows that they are in error.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by H2O Doctor
As an engineer and dedicated researcher on the TCH, I'm interested in the relationship between temperature and FE. I live in sunny Southern California so I have limited first-hand information. I do track the mileage on every tank and also note the % of time I travel on the highway as well as an approximate temperature for the tanks. I've developed a spreadsheet where I track this information.

However, the lowest temperature I have experienced was only 40 F and that for a short period of time.

A while back I tried to develop some approximations to define what temperature would do based on what others were reporting. I recognize that the length of the drive is a major determinant along with the amount of highway driving.

What I calculated was this:

80 F appears to be the ideal temperature for the TCH. Any higher and A/C begins to reduce mileage.

50 F seems to reduce mileage by ~5%
30 F seems to reduce mileage by ~10%
100 F seems to reduce mileage by ~8%

I only used data from those with at least a 30 minute average travel, and gave more weight to the information with those with a 60 minute commute.

I would be interested if anyone has any information which either confirms my calculations or shows that they are in error.

When we picked up our TCH last July we achieved about 42 mpg on one tank (calculated) from Ft. Campbell Ky to Valdosta Ga. Temperature was 103 degrees going thru downtown Atlanta with speeds between 65 and 70. Granted this was my second tank!! Operating in the warmer climate here in Central Florida I have not seen a significant difference in mpg with temperatures in the 90's last August and September as compared to the mild temperatures in March and April. Since the AC compressor is high voltaage electric instead of being belt driven I don't see much reason for it to reduce the FE with the exception of using more battery power sitting in traffic. Just my opinion.

Last edited by gandyfire; 04-07-2007 at 05:43 PM. Reason: for to post a comment
Old 04-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gandyfire
Since the AC compressor is high voltaage electric instead of being belt driven I don't see much reason for it to reduce the FE with the exception of using more battery power sitting in traffic. Just my opinion.
Exactly. When you are at highway speeds, the engine runs anyway and mitigates the loss of having the A/C on. In fact, you will get better mileage with A/C than the increased drag of open windows.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Enthusiast

I'm new to the TCH world as just passed 500 miles. I live in Florida when the weather is pretty mild. Today we got a "cold" blast and I noticed that the TCH wouldn't run in the EV mode near as much during my comute home. Temp was about 50 degrees where it's been in the 80's. I still got good gas mileage on the 15 mile trip (>40 MPG according to the computer), but I would guess the 5% decrease was about what I saw.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:10 PM
Enthusiast

I'm on my second tankfull in my Camry hybrid. I just got back from a two day trip involving both highway and urban driving. The first day the outside temperature was around 50-55 degrees. Overnight a warm front came through and the temperature climbed to 70-73 degrees the next day. The first day my consumption on the dashboard read around 6.0 liters per 100 km (39 mpg US), but on the second day after filling up, on the return trip with no change in altitude, the consumption improved to 5.6 liters per 100 km (42 mpg US).
Now granted the car is breaking in and that might account for some the better mileage, but the temperature influence seems to be significant. The gasoline was a different brand too, and maybe that had some influence.
My first tank average 36.7 mpg US.

Quick Reply: Your MPG may never make the average (37MPG)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands