30K service

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Enthusiast
Default 30K service

I can't find the section in my owners manuals that detail the 30k service, but I did find this website. http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/. It outlines that I need: Oil change, rotate tires, replace air/cabin filters and re-torque the drive shaft bolt and inspect a bunch of stuff.

Is there anything else that needs to be done?

I've had the oil changed every 5k, and order my own air and cabin filters and change them myself. When I told the scheduler that I wanted the 30k service, he quoted me over $500. He started telling me about the transmission fluid change and about to tell me more and I said no thanks.

All I want is the oil change, and the re-torquing of the drive shaft bolt as I just changed the air/cabin filters, and the tires are rotated every year when I switch to snow tires...is that good enough to cover my butt for the warranty? I guess I need to pay for that visual inspection as well.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:07 AM
Engineering Professor
Default Re: 30K service

Originally Posted by luvmy356
I can't find the section in my owners manuals that detail the 30k service, but I did find this website. http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/. It outlines that I need: Oil change, rotate tires, replace air/cabin filters and re-torque the drive shaft bolt and inspect a bunch of stuff.

Is there anything else that needs to be done?

I've had the oil changed every 5k, and order my own air and cabin filters and change them myself. When I told the scheduler that I wanted the 30k service, he quoted me over $500. He started telling me about the transmission fluid change and about to tell me more and I said no thanks.

All I want is the oil change, and the re-torquing of the drive shaft bolt as I just changed the air/cabin filters, and the tires are rotated every year when I switch to snow tires...is that good enough to cover my butt for the warranty? I guess I need to pay for that visual inspection as well.
You should consider an ATF change soon. The ATF in my Prius (lighter so less severe use than your Highlander) was exchanged (my dealer charged $85) and a lab test showed that it was used up at 60k miles. When I did it again at 120k miles (Now the dealer charged $95 ... Inflation!) the lab test came out better.

I suggest that a first ATF exchange for a Highlander at 30k miles is reasonable and then every 60k thereafter. Save a few ounces in a clean poly bottle and send it to PDMA labs for an analysis (about $25) to see how your tranny is doing. With some real data you can determine a good schedule for this preventative maintenance procedure.

JeffD

Last edited by jdenenberg; 03-05-2009 at 06:13 AM. Reason: added a note
Old 03-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Enthusiast

I agree with Jeff regarding the transaxle fluid change. I did that for both the transaxle and MGR when my 2006 logged 30K miles. It appears that the transaxle was overfilled with fluid, because when I removed the fill plug first, a substantial amount of fluid came out the fill hole.

Maybe it was just me, but it seemed that mpg improved around 10% after I refilled the transaxle with the correct amount of ATF WS.

Regarding "torquing the driveshaft bolt", I've also seen that on the maintenance list and have no idea what that means. I believe this is irrelevant to HiHy.

Regarding warranty concerns, you just need to make sure that you have timely engine oil/oil filter changes documented.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Enthusiast

So my HiHy is back after the service and steering recall work.

The work they recommend depends on the service writer you get I guess. When I showed up, the service writer said that all I needed was the oil change as I already took care of the filters. When I asked about the transmission fluid and mentioned that another service writer on the phone said I needed it changed, he said the other guy was mistaken and it didn't need to be done on the Hybrids.

The car doesn't drive any differently after the recall work. However it seemed like they "rebooted" the car as my radio settings, MPG, and navigation settings were all reset. My MPG also went up, but we had a warm day so thats probably the reason for the MPG increase.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:07 AM
Engineering Professor

Originally Posted by luvmy356
When I asked about the transmission fluid and mentioned that another service writer on the phone said I needed it changed, he said the other guy was mistaken and it didn't need to be done on the Hybrids.
Your dealer will not have to pay for a new transmission when it fails after 100k miles, you will.

Our comments on the need for ATF replacement came from doing lab analysis of used ATF in more than a dozen hybrids (2001-2006 Prius). My 2004 Prius now has over 143k miles and has had the ATF change/tested twice. I will change it again at 180k miles. $100/60k miles is a low cost to lengthen the life of this expensive component of our great cars.

JeffD

Old 07-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Enthusiast

I am also curious about what I really need to have done for the 30K service for my 2006 Highlander Hybrid. I just had the oil changed, tires rotated and basic visual inspection. Should I take it back before my next oil change to have them re-torque the drive shaft bolt and do the visual inspections listed in my maintenance book. I was quoted $229 by my local dealership to do the inspections. They don't actually DO anything though (such as test the ATF as a previous post suggested). Are the visual inspections necessary at this point or just a hole to throw good money down??

Thanks,
Melissa

Old 07-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Melissa,

There is no driveshaft bolt. I'd suggest that you buy an engine air filter and cabin air filter from your Toyota dealer's parts dept, and replace both yourself.

The engine air filter is located in the black rectangular container visible when you open the hood. Note a few clips that hold the container together.

The cabin air filter is behind the glove box. You have to empty the contents of the glove box, then remove the plastic pins that serve as hinge pivots. Then the glove box can be removed.

You will see an off-white rectangular panel with a couple of catches. That is part of the cabin air filter plastic frame. Use your fingers to release that panel and as you pull that out you will see the cabin air filter. Replace the filter element and then reinsert the panel. Reinstall the glove box and you are done with the 30K mile service.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

We've been exclusively Honda over the years, but have had our share of Service Department "over enthusiasm" regarding required maintnenance.

My first thought: what does your Owners Manual say? Is there a scheduled maintenance section, with mileage and/or time intervals, and what needs to be done. Or similar to the later Hondas is there some sort of Maintenance Minder built in to the car?

Either way, I'm sure Toyota outlines what needs to be done, and when. Some of the items may be scheduled more frequently than warranted, more to appease the company's liability concerns, but at least it should be spelled out.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Enthusiast

The Highlander Hybrid does not have a transmission! Really. The planetary gear set (sometimes called Power Split Device) distributes torque between the ICE and traction motor to the driven wheels. The ICE is always in direct-drive. The PSD has fixed ratios and should not be confused with a CVT. The fluid in the PSD is truly marvelous: Toyota's WS (for World Standard). It's good for at least 100,000 miles and is very expensive to replace. An honest dealer will confirm this and, should you have the WS fluid replaced, it would cost about $200 with labor.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:14 PM
Enthusiast
Wink Re: 30K service

Careful, MY 2006 has what is called "world fluid" in the transmission and at 100K all that is done is an inspection. Toyota says not to change on any kind of mileage schedule. No Tranny dipstick at all. Have to drop the pan and is nearly a $200 job.

Quick Reply: 30K service

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands