Highlander Traction Battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 07:17 AM
Enthusiast
Lightbulb Highlander Traction Battery

Has anybody with a Highlander Hybrid every seen the traction battery indicate fully charged? I have owned my HiHy just over a month and have seen the traction battery indicate green and 1 bar from the top twice. I have never seen it indicate completely charged. Most of the time it is two bars from the top and a purple color. It goes red when its two bars from the bottom. The 2 or 3 times I have seen it in the red it only took 15 minutes or so of driving and it was back to 2 bars from the top. Also, if the batteries are never fully charged, can that effect the FE or Bias the ICE to run more often, or kick in sooner under acceleration.

Thanks,
AZJet

Old 04-05-2006, 07:45 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Highlander Traction Battery

The intent is that the battery is never fully charged or discharged (or...very rarely). Keeping it in the mid-range is actually better for battery life.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:53 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

My understanding is that the gauge that we see doesn't represent 100 to 0 percent, or rather the limited 80 to 20 percent full, that the software will allow the battery to charge/discharge to.

Does that make sense?

Old 04-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zadscmc
My understanding is that the gauge that we see doesn't represent 100 to 0 percent, or rather the limited 80 to 20 percent full, that the software will allow the battery to charge/discharge to.

Does that make sense?
Of course that makes sense, but that would mean i'm not even getting up to 80% charge.

Old 04-05-2006, 01:24 PM
Prius geek

Exactly. That's how the battery/hybrid system components can be warranteed for 8 years/100,000 miles (10 years/150,000 miles in CA, maybe other low-emission states?)

Allow for more discharge and charge and you get the hybrid myth that batteries need replacement every 3 years.

Old 04-05-2006, 01:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The display is actually showing 40% to 81%. Go to...

www.privatenrg.com for a nice graphic on the display (near the bottom). This site also shows a lot of other neat things about the technology. It is about Prius I and Prius II but I suspect a lot of the information will apply to the hihy and lexhy.

Old 05-15-2006, 04:27 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by azjetmek
Has anybody with a Highlander Hybrid every seen the traction battery indicate fully charged? I have owned my HiHy just over a month and have seen the traction battery indicate green and 1 bar from the top twice. I have never seen it indicate completely charged. Most of the time it is two bars from the top and a purple color. It goes red when its two bars from the bottom. The 2 or 3 times I have seen it in the red it only took 15 minutes or so of driving and it was back to 2 bars from the top. Also, if the batteries are never fully charged, can that effect the FE or Bias the ICE to run more often, or kick in sooner under acceleration.

Thanks,
AZJet
This is normal behavior. In fact, when Toyota hybrids get up past the blue bars (or purple, depending on perception), the car will make an extended effort to "burn off" the extra charge (green bars) bringing it back to two-bars-from-full. The Prius will go so far as to cycle the gas engine on-off-on-off-on-off at a stop light just to burn off charge when it's indicating full green.

You want extra capacity in the battery for prolonged regen periods. If the battery was always "full," you wouldn't have any place to put regenerative braking.

Hope that makes sense.

-Drew

Old 05-15-2006, 11:39 AM
no more oil

hi

we were wondering about that ourselves -never being able to keep the battery full.

makes sense. Thanks for the info

Old 05-30-2006, 08:59 AM
me2
Enthusiast

An article at http://www.forbes.com/2006/05/26/toy...0530flint.html says:
According to Toyota, the car never charges its batteries to more than 80% of their capacity nor drains them below 50% capacity.

Old 05-30-2006, 03:20 PM
no more oil

hi

read the article. He is very knowledgeable. I also know that Toyota and Honda especially, know all about plug in tech much better than anyone.

However, it does appear to me the author talks about a 'today' battery stance vs one perhaps 2 or 5 years down the road. With Global tensions, cost of war, and price of oil, i suspect it will be the former time frame rather than the latter.

Quick Reply: Highlander Traction Battery

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands