Ok, is this normal...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 12:30 AM
Enthusiast
Question Ok, is this normal...

2 things: I've been driving several times and a chime comes on. There's no light blinking, my seatbelt is on and the doors are closed. It's come on when I leaned a certain way in my seat, like if you were trying to see an address out the window to the right.
Today, I was on a curvy road, seated normally and it starts to go off again.

is this the weight sensor for the airbag? and if so, is anyone else having this happen? I called the dealer and am going to go in on Thurs.

oh, i'm 6'5" and 210lbs so it's not a size/weight issue.

2nd thing is a rattle that comes from the back somewhere around 65-75 on the freeway. Maybe the spare tire cover. Anyone else hearing this?

Thanks again for the feedback.

Last edited by Dirty Hybrid; 05-17-2006 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Forgot another thing...
Old 05-17-2006, 04:57 AM
Happy HiHy Owner
Default Re: Ok, is this normal...

The only times I hjave had the chime go off while driving has been when my wife unbuclked the passenger seatbelt. In that case it started out as a slow repeating chime and then went faster and faster.

I do not have any rattles at all in my HiHy. Could it be the retractable screen that covers the back area? Usually on the freeway the road is smooth so it probably wouldn't be something loose. Thinking of things that could be affected by wind speed, the only things that come to mind is the roof rack (open the window and see if it gets louder) and the spare tire cover under the car (see if its tight).

Old 05-17-2006, 06:00 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

My FEH will chime if you leave the turn signal on too long.

Old 05-17-2006, 06:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

Our company replaces seat occupancy sensor's in cars all the time for being defective. Check with your dealer and see if this might be the case. Good luck.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:47 AM
Enthusiast

The chime you describe is the same one but I have no idea what's making it happen still...hmmm...

The rattle: The cover is still stored under the rear floor and seems to be snug. The tire cover is a bit loose but I can't tighten it anymore than it already is. I may have to get up to 65 70 and then just run back there to get a better listen.

: ) or let my wife drive. hmmm...

Old 05-17-2006, 12:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey, you notice that little rattle noise too? I thought I was going insane. Somewhere in the back... and it happens intemittently. The good news for me is that it went away after about 1000 miles or so. I suspect it's a product of the tight tolerances that the Toyota manufacturers have when they put these vehicles together. After enough normal use the HiHy "loosens" up a little and those weird tinkering noises should go away...

-Han-

Old 05-17-2006, 02:11 PM
Enthusiast

I have had the rattle when the kids leave the seatbelt twisted so that the metal part is against the side of the vehicle. It rarely happens, but drives me nuts when it does.

I have also had the seatbelt warning for the passenger seat go off while driving. It is accompanied by the blinking seatbelt light on the right side of the console. I often keep my right elbow on the armrest for the passenger seat and if I lean, say on a turn or the like, it goes off. This too does not happen to me often.

Good luck!