Trip computer - no average MPG????

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 07:36 PM
Enthusiast
Default Trip computer - no average MPG????

It felt like a down grade compared to a cheap hyundai elantra that I used to drive which has a trip computer with average MPG display.

My sienna's trip computer also has average MPG. But what in the world is toyota thinking about not offering average MPG in the highlander's trip computer????

I got my highlander hybrid today (base 4WD) excited to see how the average MPG compares to my sienna and the previous hyundai elantra, only to find out that there is none.

A real disappointment.

Toyota, wake up!!!!

Old 08-19-2006, 07:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Trip computer - no average MPG????

The multi function display below the speedometer will cycle between the trip odometer, power monitor, instant MPG, outside temp and average MPG. Just press the button/stick thats sticking out of the center gauge/speedo to change the mode.

Old 08-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Enthusiast

It is only current MPG (instant MPG) that reads MPG in 2 seconds interval.

The rest of my car have average MPG that calculates MPG from an assigned point A (or from point of reset) up to the latest milage reading.

I cannot vent enaough of my frustration.

I tried all combimations of toggling both controls on the dash to no avail. Besides, average MPG is also not mentioned in the manual unless you have navigation.

Old 08-19-2006, 09:16 PM
Enthusiast

My car has navigation, but I thought all the HiHy's had the ability to display the average MPG.

The manual on pg 152 shows that Average MPG is one of the display options in the multifunction display. It doesn't specify if that feature is specific to models with nav, so I assumed all the HiHy's had this feature.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

My Highlander Hybrid without Navigation but with the automatic A/C system has an average MPG readout in two places: in the multifunction display below the speedometer, and in the multi-information display above the A/C controls on the dash.

You said your vehicle is a base Hybrid 4WD. Mine is a limited 4WD. However, the information in the owner’s manual on page 152 makes no distinction about the average MPG readout for the Multifunction display being only available in upgraded models.

Maybe your display is not working correctly. Have you notified the dealer of this problem? What did they say?

Old 08-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Enthusiast

Hi, We just purchased our base HiHy 4wd model about a month ago. We have the bottom-base model .. manual A/C, no sunroof, etc. However, we DO have the cumulative MPG in the little window with the spedometer. It is one of the items that shows up when you cycle through the options (instant MPG, temp, etc.).

I'm pretty sure that I remember that the one we test drove (which was not a color we wanted .. but also base model) did NOT have this feature. It also had different outside hybrid markings. That car had been on their lot for about 6 minths. The one we bought was "fresh" from the factory. My guess (completely unfounded) is that sometime in the last 6 months they added the overall MPG because of complaints from people.

Sorry that's not more helpful .. do you happen to know how "old" your car is (i.e. based on ship date or whatever). You might be able to tell based on if you just have the blue swoop on each side, or do you have a blue swoop with the word Hybrid?

Birgit

Old 08-21-2006, 05:29 AM
Enthusiast

Please tell me how is it displayed below the speedo.

Is the ave MPG incorported in the same screen setting as the instant MPG?

Or is there another setting when cycling the display (odo-trip / instant MPG / outside temp / power flow ) ?

Thanks. Your responses will really be appreciated.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:54 AM
Enthusiast

Seems like this issue was discussed at HiHyChat. Earlier production cars didn't seem to have the Average MPG as part of the multifunction display.
http://www.hihychat.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=255

Whats the build date on your HiHy? The date can be found on the drivers door lockpost.

I'm curious if the dealer can do a software upgrade to enable this feature?

Old 08-24-2006, 07:58 AM
Enthusiast

Mine did not have an average MPG display. It is an early production base model (non-limited), non-nav highlander hybrid 4WD.

I bought a new version of scangauge (scangauge ll). Here's what I found.

Trip #1:
highlander hybrid = 28 MPG
wife's 2000 elantra = 27 MPG (exact same route)

Trip #2: HiHY = 33
Trip #3 = HiHY = 38
Trip #4 = HIHY = 35

Not bad for a beginer hybrid driver with less than 200 miles on the odo.

The good thing about the scangauge ll (aside from many features) is that at the current ave MPG setting, it resets everytime you turn the car on so it invites you to beat your last trip's mileage.

Mark

Last edited by drmperalta; 08-25-2006 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:21 PM
PDx
Enthusiast

I just picked up my new base-model Hihy on Friday and love the vehicle so far. The door jam sticker claims a manufacture date of May '06, and the display DOES have the "Average MPG" feature . It sounds like the early version '06's didn't have it.

Last edited by PDx; 09-06-2006 at 07:44 AM.