When will we have a 4cyl Highlander Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Dan
MPG Centurion
Default When will we have a 4cyl Highlander Hybrid?

I just got a Prius, and now we are looking to replace my wife's Odyssey. For a 7 passenger vehicle, the Highlander Hybrid is still the best bet. But what burns me up is that Toyota has spent all that wonderful hybrid technology just to give the Highlander an obscene (although probably fun) 268 hp. That's more than my old 5.0L Mustang. It would seem to make perfect sense (to me at least) to market a FE Highlander based on the Camry drive train (as they have for years with the non-Hybrid 4cyl Highlander).

This is the Highlander family I'd like to see:
non-Hybrid 4cyl; 155hp (available, currently based on HSD Hybrid Camry)
non-Hybrid 6cyl; 215hp (available)
HSD Hybrid 4cyl; 187 hp (not available but could base on non-Hybrid Camry)
HSD Hybrid 6cyl; 268 hp (available)

Seems the 187 hp would fit in nicely. Based on the Camry numbers and factoring a 16% reduction in FE for drag and weight, the FE should be (combined) around 33 mpg. That's about 15% more FE than the 6cyl Hybrid.

If they need some marketing tips just consider "The most fuel efficient personal transport ever".

The idea is how many gallons per person per mile does it cost. Of course you could get out a scooter, but lets assume climate controlled transport. The word "personal" also excludes mass transit.

For 1-2 persons the most FE would be the Insight
For 3-5 persons the most FE would be the Prius
For 6-7 persons the most FE would be the Theoretical 4cyl Highlander
For 8-Infinity persons the most FE would be multiple Priuses

<Of course after doing the math the 29mpg number of the 6cyl works too, ok, maybe not the best marketing plan, but interesting none the less.>

I know they are announcing the 2008 Highlander in a few weeks, but I doubt there is anything under their hat this big or I'm sure it would have leaked by now.

If not the Highlander, then please Toyota, bring over the Estima. My soccer-mom wife keeps running off with my Prius.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:11 AM
Dan
MPG Centurion
Default Re: When will we have a 4cyl Highlander Hybrid?

If not a 4cyl, then at least a FFV. But from what I read FFV isn't happening till 2008, so I guess it will be in model year 2009.

Might have to get a Uplander, Terraza, or Relay FFV in protest.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've learned a bit about FFV- I assume you mean ethanol / E85. It's really a big scam.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Dan
MPG Centurion

Originally Posted by w@ntonsoup
I assume you mean ethanol / E85. It's really a big scam.
I certainly agree that it is hotly debated.

Please reply to this GH thread on E85. There are a lot of pro's and con's mentioned there.

I've also run an in depth analysis on other forums if your interested.

Old 02-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Besides our beloved Prius, we have a four-cyclinder 4-Runner and would like to trade it in this year for a HiHy and I would also like the four-cyclinder version after the nine years driving it in the Colorado mountains. So come on Toyota!

Old 02-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'd think that a hybrid RAV4 or CR-V might come around before a 4-cyl HiHy

Old 02-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Dan
MPG Centurion

Just went to test drive HiHy this weekend. And now I'm actually considering the Hybrid Chevy Tahoe that is rumored for MY2008. Should get a whopping 22 mpg combined, but it would still beat what we have now.

I really need third row seating, and the highlander just doesn't have that big of a third row. Certainly nothing that my parents could sit in.

So right now it's either a MY2008 Tahoe, or MY2008 Estima. But since the Estima doesn't look like it will arrive in 2008, I might not have a choice.

At least it sounds like in MY2011 Toyota should have most of their line (including the Sienna) with a Hybrid package, so I'll only need the Tahoe for about 3 years.

Last edited by Dan; 02-05-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dan
Just went to test drive HiHy this weekend. And now I'm actually considering the Hybrid Chevy Tahoe that is rumored for MY2008. Should get a whopping 22 mpg combined, but it would still beat what we have now.

I really need third row seating, and the highlander just doesn't have that big of a third row. Certainly nothing that my parents could sit in.

So right now it's either a MY2008 Tahoe, or MY2008 Estima. But since the Estima doesn't look like it will arrive in 2008, I might not have a choice.

At least it sounds like in MY2011 Toyota should have most of their line (including the Sienna) with a Hybrid package, so I'll only need the Tahoe for about 3 years.
We'll find out in the next few days what the new Highlander looks like. From rumors, I've read that it will have more room with a drop down middle seat in the 2nd row for better access.
I wouldn't count on the Estima. They probably won't bring it here for fear of diluting the Sienna sales. I'm guessing they're going to mount the Sienna body on the now longer HiHy frame. So look for a 4wdi Sienna in the very near future, maybe even a late MY2008.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Active Enthusiast
Location: Two miles N of the technology 'center-of-the-world' in 1903, on the Outer Banks of NC

Originally Posted by Dan

Tomorrow 9:00 AM in Chicago.

The new 2008 Highlander will be debuted in Chicago. It will be larger in every dimension. The new HH will also be debuted at that time. I'm hoping but don't feel it will happen that the base model will be the 4c +HSD HH with the 266 hp ICE as the upscale model.

Since this is primarily a Lexus-based product it takes all it cues from Lexus. That's why it has the V6 linked to the HSD ... for performance not fuel economy. I'd sure like to see a fuel economy version for the Toyota line and a performance version for the Lexus line. It could be done, they could make the 2.4L + HSD in Georgetown along side the TCH.

Now that they are dropping the Solara they could dedicate one line in KY just to hybrids.. WoooHoooo.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dan
I'll only need the Tahoe for about 3 years.
Ouch - have you seen the depreciation on those? Domestic only makes sense when you plan to keep them forever.

Quick Reply: When will we have a 4cyl Highlander Hybrid?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands