1st Week with my new 06 Prius

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 05:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 1st Week with my new 06 Prius

Originally Posted by lars-ss
He says on the Fuel Consumption screen, on the display that shows the arrows and the tires and the electric engine and the gasoline engine, When the gas engine and the HSD system are both shown without animated arrows, that means the vehicle is in AutoStop mode.
The term "AutoStop mode" means nothing on Prius.

The Energy screen does not show the ICE running when coasting on downhill at highway speed and when warming up.

Ken@Japan

Old 01-15-2006, 09:46 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 'lectronimo
And when I need it, I have the AUX-in to accommodate my iPod, or an old cassette player for listening to books-on-tape.
I just picked up my 2006 Prius last week, which has the auxiliary audio jack. What type of wire/plug-in do I need to purchase in order to connect a cassette tape player to allow tapes to be played through the audio system? Is this something commonly available? I tried to ask a clerk at Radio Shack, but she had no idea what I was talking about.

Old 01-15-2006, 10:11 AM
'lectronimo

Originally Posted by LoneRanger7
I just picked up my 2006 Prius last week, which has the auxiliary audio jack. What type of wire/plug-in do I need to purchase in order to connect a cassette tape player to allow tapes to be played through the audio system? Is this something commonly available? I tried to ask a clerk at Radio Shack, but she had no idea what I was talking about.
The jack in the center console is a 3.5mm stereo jack. Most likely your tape player has the same. If so, you'll need a patch cord with a 3.5mm plug on each end. Very common, check again with RS, Best Buy, Circuit City...etc.

Old 01-15-2006, 10:52 AM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: 1st Week with my new 06 Prius

Hey Rod;

I hope I am as excited and Pleased with my HCH ll as you are with your New Prius.

Sounds like to me that you have a "Winner" there.

Regards;

Terry
BTW; One day this yr. 2006 a 06 HCH ll owner. Sis-In-Law has New Prius:

Old 01-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: 1st Week with my new 06 Prius

Great summary Rod. You caught many of the concerns and kudos that I've experienced so far with brief test drives. Your words are encouraging to the discouraged prospect trying to buy a new Prius. How long did it take to get the car? This is the most frustrating part for me so far. It feels like buying bread in a Soviet dept. store.

Last edited by BeGreen; 01-15-2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:12 PM
'lectronimo

Originally Posted by BeGreen
...Your words are encouraging to the discouraged prospect trying to buy a new Prius. How long did it take to get the car?.
About 3 hours ;-) Found one on the lot, got lucky. See Post #17 in this thread: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ead.php?t=4872

Originally Posted by BeGreen
...It feels like buying bread in a Soviet dept. store.
ROTFLOL

Old 01-15-2006, 05:26 PM
Enthusiast

Ah, nice story. Our buying experience is the opposite so far. We are getting all too familiar with what's on who's lot and now have found we'll have to buy out of state to get an HK (pkg. 6) model.

Bread Line tale:
What do you want?
I’d like to have a loaf of dark bread.
No dark bread today.
OK, I’ll come back tomorrow.
No dark bread tomorrow. All dark bread goes to Kiev.
What do you have?
White bread and rye.
Hmm, ok, I’ll take that rye bread on the shelf.
Can not do. Promised to commissar. Try the white bread.
I don’t like or want white bread. I would like to have rye bread.
Ok, get on waiting list. Maybe in March we have rye bread.
Argh. Is this a bakery? How can you not have daily bread choices?
Hey, decisions made at bread factory. Try the white bread.
Forget it, I’ll take a cheese and onion piroshki.
Only for display, you take beef piroshki + blini?
I don’t eat meat and only want a piroshki.
No problem, you take ham piroshki with blini, right?

Last edited by BeGreen; 01-16-2006 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:46 AM
100% Committed

Comments from the peanut gallery:

Cruise Control Behavior: I too have never owned a car that you could reactivate under 25 and thought this was a safety feature. Maybe it depends on the automaker?

Temp guage: I agree with your thoughts on the temperature guage. It just tells you when its hot or cold - but I would like to know when it is heading there!!!! This may sound like the owner of a domestic car, but at least I could pull off the road BEFORE the engine overheats and locks up.

Regarding the Tach: Doesn't this gauge seem kinda archaic? I used to drive by this gauge when I had power on the brain...grunt, grunt,...more horsepower! But with the Prius, I have fuel efficiency on the brain and drive by the MFD. There is a tachometer in the Insight that I never looked at...why would I?...I can't control it!...still drove by the mpg guage.

Regarding the seats: Between the adjustability, and the comfort, this was the number 1 grip about the Prius since the second generation came out. I sure hope you read up on this and knew about the seats in your test drive BEFORE you purchased the car!

Completely agree with you on the smoothness on the ride. I've driven many different cars/trucks in my life but this one takes the cake regarding size/price/ride. My Gen-1 feels like a Caddy. My Gen-2 feels even better and I cannot hear or feel a thing when driving it. Lack of engine noise helps out I'm sure.

Glad you are enjoying your new toy!

Old 01-16-2006, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by FBCinvestor
Cruise control: I have never driven a car that preserves the "resume" speed after slowing below 25 mph. I assumed this was a required safety feature.
Yes, I remember the 2006 HCH manual describes this same limitation. May be a new safety requirement for 2006?

Old 01-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 'lectronimo
The jack in the center console is a 3.5mm stereo jack. Most likely your tape player has the same. If so, you'll need a patch cord with a 3.5mm plug on each end. Very common, check again with RS, Best Buy, Circuit City...etc.
I'm surprised the '06 doesn't come with a USB port, in this day and age. I'd love to simply plug in my Bonzai or any memory stick with it's myriad song files and just play that instead of a cd/tape/other.

But that's an insignificant issue. I love my '06 and I'd owned an '01 since '01.

Quick Reply: 1st Week with my new 06 Prius

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands