3 Weeks and....

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 09:20 PM
Enthusiast
Default 3 Weeks and....

....very happy - with my '05 Prius II!!

Tank #1 - 46.0 mpg
Tank #2 - 45.8 mpg
Tank #3 - 51.8 mpg (and still counting). Started in N.E. WI, finished in Holland MI. Total 405 mi. Mix of 55 mph and 65 mph, including MKE, Chicago and National Dunes Lakeshore drive. About 8 gallons!

Have just over 1000 mi. logged so far. Grinnin' up a storm. DW and I love this car. My dearly departed 4Runner would be half way through its second 18 gal tank by now.

Thanks for listenin'. Just needed a roof-top to hollar from!

Denny_A

Old 05-09-2005, 12:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 3 Weeks and....

Just beware ..

Once you see those 50 mpg tanks, you may find it hard to stomach forty anything

Old 05-11-2005, 12:57 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Denny_A
....very happy - with my '05 Prius II!!

Tank #1 - 46.0 mpg
Tank #2 - 45.8 mpg
Tank #3 - 51.8 mpg (and still counting). Started in N.E. WI, finished in Holland MI. Total 405 mi. Mix of 55 mph and 65 mph, including MKE, Chicago and National Dunes Lakeshore drive. About 8 gallons!
Followup.......

Just finished 4 day loop of the Lake Michigan shoreline. Refilled the tank 80 miles short of home, having traveled 1035 miles, whilst burning 19.4 gallons of petrol.

That's 53.35 miles per gallon. The Prius computer average was very close to the miles driven/gallon replaced average.

Since I used a GPS, I was also made aware that the Prius (mine) indicates 1 mph faster at 60 mph than the GPS instantaneous speed. So, if the actual distance were 1018 mile/19.4 gals, the MPG would work out to 52.50 (or 1.17% less). But, who's counting. EPA doesn't seem that far off to me.

Guess I'll keep it for awhile. It's true.... one does not have to give up anything to be green (as in moree green in my wallet).

Old 05-11-2005, 01:31 PM
Site Founder

Where is this MPH information displayed? Are we talking on the technical side? because I definitely don't have one on the GPS.

Old 05-11-2005, 02:14 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jason
Where is this MPH information displayed? Are we talking on the technical side? because I definitely don't have one on the GPS.
Sorry for the confusion.

I don't have the OEM GPS. I use my own Garmin iQue 3600. It displays the instantaneous velocity at the top of the map display page. I use it for setting my driving speed. In the 50 to 70 mph range it always displayed 1mph less (give or take a 10th within that range). I had a 4Runner previously, and it was off about 2mph in the same speed range.

Old 05-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Enthusiast

Yes, NE Wisconsin and that general area is great for MPG. I lived there for years (Appleton) and well, just got bored with the flat terrain. Moved to La Crosse for a while before heading down south for grad school.

Here I am not as fortunate though- it is hilly and so I end up getting a mere 47 mpg. Never thought I'd put the phrase "mere 47mpg" together but there it is!

Enjoy the car!!

Old 05-12-2005, 11:50 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by galaxee
Yes, NE Wisconsin and that general area is great for MPG. I lived there for years (Appleton) and well, just got bored with the flat terrain. Moved to La Crosse for a while before heading down south for grad school.
NE WI, as in Fox Valley, as in Appleton. Raised here, left here, came back, and all 3 of my progeny eventually moved here too. We like it here......inspite of treacherous confiscatory monitary policies, locally and statewide.

Very pleased with my new Prius. More than I had anticipated. It has turned me into an extremely observant, totally connected driver. Previously a car was a transporter. The Prius is an adventure.

Trivia: My brother matriculated from UW Lacrosse; Undergrad and Grad.

Cheers

Old 05-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Enthusiast

I got my Bachelor's there too, absolutely loved it. Perfect for trail biking and hiking and the like. But I had to take the chance on Duke when they offered me a 100% funded spot to work on my PhD...

UW-La Crosse Class of '04, BS-Cell and Molecular Biology, and Biochemistry

We're talking about moving to Madison when I finish here, just to be back near home. Our families still live in/near Appleton. But Madison would be the nearest place I could find a job.

I will be happy to take my Prius with us and see a jump in MPG! It's only 4 or so years away...

Old 05-12-2005, 12:54 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by galaxee
I got my Bachelor's there too, absolutely loved it. Perfect for trail biking and hiking and the like. But I had to take the chance on Duke when they offered me a 100% funded spot to work on my PhD...

UW-La Crosse Class of '04, BS-Cell and Molecular Biology, and Biochemistry
Any chance you graduated from Appleton West HS? My brother taught Biology, Chemistry and Physics there for many years. Retired from ATW West about 5 yrs ago. Known for his VERY dry, punny, sense of humor.

Old 05-12-2005, 01:08 PM
Enthusiast

Nope, I was Appleton North Class of 01.
Hubby went to West before they opened North, he's class of 97. But he didn't take bio, chem, or physics while there.