42 mph Threshold & Block Heaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 06:04 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 42 mph Threshold & Block Heaters

Good point Bob - the built-in cruise control on the Prius is certainly guilty of exceeding 2500rpm on hills on the highway - man that's messy.

I simply don't use Cruise Control because I'm always driving rolling hills, and instead try to maintain my foot position on the Accellerator, causing me to decelerate going uphill and accellerate downhill. At low points in the drive I might be doing 75mph, and at the crests of hills I might be doing 60mph, but I can hear the gas engine rev at a relatively constant, reasonable rate the entire time - certainly below 3500rpm, and I would guess around 2000-2500rpm.

Old 12-23-2006, 09:22 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by SoopahMan
. . . but I can hear the gas engine rev at a relatively constant, reasonable rate the entire time - certainly below 3500rpm, and I would guess around 2000-2500rpm.
Excellent! An engineer, I prefer machines handle these tasks so for me, a smarter cruise control makes sense. That way I can work on my next designs.

Bob Wilson

Old 12-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Newbie Greenie

Originally Posted by SoopahMan
Sort of - I think you just have the arrow colors confused but get it just fine. If you accellerate gently a red arrow comes from the engine to the wheels, and a green arrow comes from the EM to the battery. If you see a yellow arrow between the EM and the battery, it's going to be pointing the other way - at the EM - and that means you're harming your efficiency.
I'm wondering if the color differences we are encountering is do to the fact that I have my screen set to the "orange" color scheme rather than the default "green" color set up. I will have to go out and test this theory. Thanks for the feedback. It looks like I'm heading in the right direction.

UTpiper