Aftermarket Radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Aftermarket Radio

Check your browser's 'Cookie' setting. It might be chucking your 'logged in' cookie for this web site, or you simply have excessively paranoid 'cookie' settings.

If I were doing this myself, this universal 'Toyota ViewTech 2005 Controller' solution looks best to me from the perspective of plugging in 'Whatever', including other aftermarket navigation, computer, video, etc. widgets. I'd mount the little yellow box somewhere that I could get at it behind the dashboard, probably with double-sided sticky tape. It integrates switching audio/video into the Prius buttons for two channels of video/audio inputs, and doesn't get in the way of XM or other stuff.
http://www.coastaletech.com/viewtech_2005.htm

At $300 it's a bit pricey, and it looks like there's a backorder of 6~8 weeks, but you're the one who bought a prius....

Possibly a car profile DVD/MP3 player could be plugged in, so you could get the track information displayed on the Prius screen, but you'd have to shop for that 'perfect' device. Later on (assuming you don't kill yourself watching movies while you drive), you might add an aftermarket satelite navigation system using the extra set of inputs that are already conveniently there.

I would set it up on 'SAT 3' (per the description on the web site), so the MP3 screen could be shut off without shutting off the audio, but that's just me. I can't stand junk animating at me from the dashboard.

This other web site has FAQs and technical information about another different plugin (which only works on the earlier Prius models, as it turns out), and an illustrated guide, which (even if you don't use this solution) does give you an idea of what's mechanically involved in plugging in an aftermarket radio.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bumpelo/index2.html
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bumpelo/install.html

Apparently, the second device treats the MP3 player like the toyota six disc 'CD Changer', and provides on-screen Prius navigation for it. Of course, the Jensen players he provides with the adapter are panned in reviews pretty universally, so I'd be looking for the adapter without the radio, and shop for a better Jensen radio that still uses the same IR codes. 'Jensen' is key here because the gadget sends commands to the IR remote receiver on the Jensen. Nothing on the site about programming the same microcontroller with other car radios' IR codes, though that should be theoretically possible, given an SDK for the microcontroller in use. Of course, if the CD navigation from the Prius screens is a secondary concern, I bet this would work fine with any radio, it just won't tell the player what to do from the Prius touch-screen.

Someone said they successfully installed this radio thing, but they might be a shill...
http://priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=23

Of course, I have a Honda and am content using a $130 JVC MP3 stereo with my stock speakers. I am not an 'audiophile', in that I can't tell the difference between a $200/foot monster cable and a lamp power cord bought off a spool at the hardware store when connecting speakers. I certainly can't tell the difference with wind, road noise, traffic, etc. while I'm driving between a $130 and a $500 radio. That's just me.

I'm just a USAF trained electronic/computer technician who has been programming computer software and computer games for a living for the past 15 years, and maybe understands a thing or two about electronics and interfacing computers to things as a result.

Last edited by lessevildave; 04-24-2005 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:37 PM
Enthusiast

I've just installed the Alpine CD player (CDA-9847)
It installs right under the factory CD Pplayer in place of the plastic dummy box. All holes in the mounting bracket match ones on the Apline unit. As I expected the connectors did fit. I just had to solder the Totyota 87-up adapter harness to the Alpine harness.
The only thing was that I've connected the groud wire from my Alpine unit to the car chasis, becauase the Toyota's ground wire in the harness looked too thin to me.

I have also installed the Sirius Tuner (SIR-ALP1) and the IPod Adapter (KCA-420i) both boxes did fit in the empty space just behind the display.

Overall instalation is straightforward, however you need to remove many panels to get to the CD player mounting bracket. The good thing is that pretty much all snap in. There were just couple screws and 6 bolts that I had to unscrew.

The next weekend - I'm planning to replace speakers with Alpine ones.

If you decide to install it professionally then you may find out that the install shops say that they would not dare to install it, because Prius is so "different". It's nor really so.

--Dmitry

Originally Posted by MajorHy
Good luck w/Alpine install and please let me know how it worked out!

According to the Sales consultant with whom I have reserved my prius at least (on wait list), a custom audio wouldn't negate a warranty - but i'll have to confirm that now, def.

I'm planning to go with a professionally installed audio package of: Sony deck mated to XM receiver, front components, rear door 2-ways, 4x50w Memphis amp and 10" sub. It will be a big hit (quoted at just under 2g, complete), but I want a high quality sound and nothing less and if anything should increase the value of the car too if/when I trade in..

Plz let me know how your Alpine is working out! cheers.

Old 04-24-2005, 06:38 PM
Site Founder

How about a pic?

Old 04-24-2005, 06:45 PM
Enthusiast

I'm glad it worked out for you. Happy tunes.

Old 05-01-2005, 07:10 PM
Prius owner since 4.25.5

I'm also very curious how the new equipment interacts with the built-in features of the vehicle such as the steering wheel controls? Does the new stuff show up on the MID?

Thanks.

Old 05-02-2005, 12:15 PM
Prius <3r

So, does anyone know what size speakers the Prius uses? (I have the non-JBL package) because I looked at Crutchfield and they don't have listings for the car and I wanted do start doing some research into what I should put in there, but I can't exactly do that without knowing where I'm going.

Old 05-02-2005, 01:57 PM
Prius geek

6 1/2" in the doors front and rear. Not sure on size of the tweeters.

Old 05-03-2005, 03:27 PM
Prius <3r

I wonder how it is that Crutchfield didn't have listings, but Circuit (crappy) City did, they only had the one size, so I wasn't sure if that was for the front or rear, but if it's for both I saw they have some nice Kicker components for $199 plus another set of 6 1/2's for $99, I'd prefer Polk Audio Momo's, but I didn't see those listed, maybe I'll have to go in store and see if they can get them for me, and then how much I can get them for since I have the "hook up" for because I used to work there. I'd buy better, but I just spent a load on a new car.

Old 05-03-2005, 05:14 PM
Green Team Republican

Cardomain.com will apparently list the Prius-fitting speakers (I recommend you verify this claim). The size of speaker according to them is 7".

If you want an informed 'opinion' regarding car audio though, I recommend you giving a shout out to a 'tbaleno' member here if you see him. He'd probably be happy to give you some pretty impartial, insightful opinions if you ask, imo.

Old 05-03-2005, 07:54 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

i could tell you the specs but priuschat is down right now

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Radio

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands