Anyone have after-market satellite radio?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 06:13 PM
Enthusiast
Default Anyone have after-market satellite radio?

I have XM in my Honda Accord- bought as a demo and it came with Sat. radio....I had never heard of XM when we got this car 3 years ago, but I now LOVE it.

I just hate to have to buy a Package 5 or 6 in my region to get a compatible (Satellite "ready") system. Has anyone gone to Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. and gotten XM (or Sirius) put into your Prius?

I want it to be integrated with the touch screen, but I am not technical enough to figure this out on my own.

Would love to buy a Package 2 or 3 and put it in after....

thank you!!

Old 03-20-2007, 12:39 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: Anyone have after-market satellite radio?

I did that with my NHW11 03 Prius and other than one installer 'opps', it works fine.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-20-2007, 04:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

There are at least three aftermarket options available for the Prius. The vendors' sites:

www.vaistech.com
www.factoryinteractive.com
www.coastaletech.com (caution: there have been some customer service issues reported with Coastal, though not universally experienced)

I don't know if they've been discussed here, but they've all been covered in length on PriusChat. You might consider searching there for more. I have the Vais unit, and I have been quite pleased with it. See this PC thread for details.

As I describe there, I had an initial, aborted (due to a faulty cable) installation attempt made by Circuit City. I don't consider myself very mechanically inclined, but with some good instructions I found on PC, I made the second, successful attempt myself.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:35 AM
Enthusiast

Those links were helpful. Thanks for responding!

Old 03-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

My pleasure. I might also mention, if you haven't discovered it already, that Factory Interactive includes an installation DVD that demonstrates exactly how to dismantle your car and do the install. I haven't seen it but other PC members have given it high marks. The main reason I didn't go the Factory Interactive route, by the way, is because the Vais unit has a 16-character display versus 10 for the others.