Cassette Tapes

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 11:38 AM
Enthusiast
Default Cassette Tapes

I just purchased a 2008 Prius. It came with a radio and CD player. It does not have a tape cassette player. Is there any way that I can either play cassettes through my audio system, or at least plug a cassette player into the electrical system?

Old 12-22-2007, 06:12 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Cassette Tapes

Originally Posted by docent
I just purchased a 2008 Prius. It came with a radio and CD player. It does not have a tape cassette player. Is there any way that I can either play cassettes through my audio system, or at least plug a cassette player into the electrical system?
First, Welcome to the CLUB!

Now as to the audio interfaces, I understand some of the NHW20s have a jack for an iPod. I suspect you may be able to plug into it. Check your owner's manual and see if you can locate it.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Old 12-23-2007, 09:12 AM
EV Stealth Druid
Default Re: Cassette Tapes

I recently took delivery of a T4 (UK spec), and this has an auxilliary input in the centre arm rest locker. This works well for my iPod and I can't see why it wouldn't similarly work for your cassette player. I don't think I ever put a cassette into my last car and I won't be missing the lack of it here.

The one thing I am finding the lack of is 12V outlets! Just the one in the aforementioned locker is wholly insufficient, not to mention in the wring place. I need one on the dash, preferably up on the top of it, to power the Tom Tom Sat Nav and the Bluetooth mobile phone hand-free while the locker one does the iPod! Has anyone tried fitting one?

Old 12-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Enthusiast

I'm not sure if yours is different because it's a UK model, but mine also has a 12v outlet under the dash on the passenger side (right side, in my case). The black cover on it makes it look like a switch or dial of some sort.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yeah the UK one only has one 12V outlet. We get 2.

Hmm.. they stopped adding the cassette for 2006. (Mine has a cassette deck).

I wonder if there's a cassette player with an auxiliary out so that you can play it through the auxiliary input jack in the Prius.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius
I wonder if there's a cassette player with an auxiliary out so that you can play it through the auxiliary input jack in the Prius.
Any portable cassette player with a headphone or line-level output jack should work. The signal would be about the same as what comes out of the iPod. Then you could just pick up a car power adapter for the proper voltage of your cassette player, and you should be all set.

Of course, all of this is just delaying the inevitable. Sooner or later you'll have to bid farewell to your cassette tapes, as they wear out.