Dropped tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dropped tire pressure

Originally Posted by Resist
I still don't understand. All front engine vehicles have a lot of weight up front and their tire pressures are mostly the same. So what makes the Prius setup any different?
Indeed they do but their rims are usually larger so lower pressure is needed. Also, they have engines over the front axles or in some cases behind the front axle (e.g. G35.. yeah I know it's RWD but it's still slightly front-biased)

Old 07-06-2007, 12:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Actually, I like a 2-3 psi difference - it helps reduce the effect from strong gusty sidewinds. In fact, mine came from the dealer set at 40psi all around. Every time I drove down I-5 (Central Calif) in the afternoon I was getting blown around. Nothing severe, just required constant attention. One day I was so annoyed I pulled off at an exit, dropped the rears 3 psi, and got back on. The difference was noticeable - less wandering when the gusts would hit me. I think it equalized the flex in the sidewalls or something.

Now I am at 37/35 and it is just fine - fairly stable and rides really nice.

Last edited by jrb_nw; 07-06-2007 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:53 AM
Engineering first

I think you are on to something here. I need to get front and rear weight measurements and check a recent SAE paper on tire performance. It may be that there is a range of front-rear tire pressure differences that leads to a 'sweet spot' in the handling. I sure wouldn't mind finding my 2003 Prius tracked a little better on the roads and it might be the rear is just trying to slip around the front. <grins>

Bob Wilson

Old 07-14-2007, 01:57 PM

Would running with a slightly higher pressure also have a negative impact on tire wear? And if so does anyone have an idea as to the break even point between cost of tire replacement running with high tire pressures and fuel efficiency?

Old 07-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Running *slightly* to *moderately* higher press than recommended by the car manufacturer (3-5 psi) should not adversly affect the tire wear at all, as it actually reduces flex in the tire and they will run cooler when there is less flex. It will make the ride a bit harsher however, but you will get slightly better mpg for reasons stated above.

Do not ever inflate more than the max recommended on the tire sidewall.