I got the Glide part, but how do I Pulse?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 10:22 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I got the Glide part, but how do I Pulse?

Originally Posted by EricGo
Hi Ken,

While I agree that using the HV battery during acceleration leaves less charge to glide with, I think that if I had to choose which was more fuel economical overall: ICE on, arrow to the battery, or ICE on, arrow from the battery, I would choose the latter. The Prius is very adept at keeping the ICE in an optimal power range when power demands are high by pulling from the battery, but less adept at dealing with low power demand conditions. I think.

If the HV SOC is low, the conclusions change. Also, it is possible to place power demands on the car that force the ICE into an inefficient range. So I am not saying that the gas pedal can be floored with impunity, but that I strive to avoid low power demand, ICE on situations.
If you think it is more fuel efficient to use HV battery (yellow arrow from battery) when accelerating, it is fine.
However, Japanese mileage enthusiasts found it is less fuel efficient to pulse unsing battery, because we see the rebounds to charge the battery later .

Ken@Japan

Old 12-18-2005, 12:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi EricGo:

___Although my experience is limited, the Prius II, Insight, and HCH all appear to receive the highest FE with very little to no assist from the pack. Others will handily disagree but again, this is my direct experiences for what they are worth

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 12-18-2005, 06:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Ken & Wayne --

I don't think we actually disagree.

Gliding below 42 mph is most beneficial
For that last bit of FE, avoid battery assist

My point was that low power demands with ICE on is best avoided, because the engine is not operating as efficiently.

Old 12-28-2005, 10:56 AM
04 prius 350,000km

hey just so we are on the same page, there isn't much difference to pulsing with the prius I from the prius II is there? So any techniques learned from here can be applied to both cars since they are very simliar to one another. (cept for functionally)

Old 01-19-2006, 07:49 AM
Enthusiast

Okay. I'm coming into this now with my new '06. It's rather fascinating how much of a difference P&G makes even though the majority of my driving is on the highway (55mph+). While P&G itself doesn't work on the highway, I have 3-5 mile non-highway routes at each end of my daily trip which give a nice boost to my FE.

One odd thing I noticed was that the "Current MPG" on the display can sometimes read 99.9 even when in Pulse mode (arrows from ICE to wheels and to MGSet-Battery). Can the ICE really be running THAT efficiently?

Old 01-19-2006, 09:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobfrapples
One odd thing I noticed was that the "Current MPG" on the display can sometimes read 99.9 even when in Pulse mode (arrows from ICE to wheels and to MGSet-Battery). Can the ICE really be running THAT efficiently?
Yes, it really is that efficient. When I had the SuperMID installed, I was showing just under 100 L/km (235 MPG) at about 40 MPH arrows from ICE to wheels and to MGSet-Battery. In the case you have described, the ICE is really just idling and not providing any power.

Old 01-31-2006, 02:54 AM
04 prius 350,000km

when you reached that deadband state its pretty much gliding in "neutral" isn't it? If you press a little more wouldn't the electric motor kick in and slow down the rate that you lose speed (kind of gliding in a hch II). Sounds like both cars have simliar P&G techniques although battery assist is needed for the HCHII gliding as opposed to the prius deadband state which uses no energy at all. Does that make the prius the ultimate hypermiler car because when I check HCH photos I see some insane photo mileage postings espically above the 70 mpg range. I understand Prius owners can still retain that high mileage even if they hit quite a few stop signs or red lights but can HCHII owners do it too? Lately HCHII new EV glide mode have been useful during 30-40 mph ranges and was wondering if they were effective for 10-20 mph speed range too. What is the minimum speed till then EV glide mode will work?