Introduction to Prius Power

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Engineering first
Wink Introduction to Prius Power

Hi,

A frustrated automotive engineer once claimed that you had to have a doctorate to understand the Prius transaxle. Learning how it works can lead to a headache but it is understandable. Hopefully, the following charts and data will clear things up.

Power Split Device

The key to understanding is how the planetary gear, power-split device works. The ICE powers the planetary gear carrier and the planetary gears are in a computer controlled dance between MG1, the sun gear, and MG2, the ring gear.

Normal Power Mode

In this mode, MG1 provides the counter torque to the engine, always 28%. This counter torque generate power that electrically passes to MG2. The remaining 72% of torque passes to the ring gear and via the chain drive to the reduction gears and differential.

In order to make the power schematic easier to understand, I have shown MG2 connected to the chain drive pickup. In fact, it is connected to the ring gear in an very compact arrangement. However, this does not change the basic power flow.

Energy Re-Circulation ("heretical" or "overdrive")

Unfortunately, normal mode leads to higher engine power settings and speeds. To put the engine in a lower-speed, highly efficient region, the transaxle can use MG2 as a generator and pass power back to MG1. MG1 then combines this with the ICE power and it 're-circulates' via the chain back towards the wheels.

When some of the earliest Prius owners noticed this it was called "heretical" mode. Toyota engineers published a paper and called it "energy re-circulation" mode. Regardless, it provides a very efficient operating mode.

What happens is MG1 uses some power from MG2 to 'lug' the Prius engine down. The engine opens the throttle plate larger and larger to meet the energy load but MG1 forces the ICE to run slower and slower BUT not so slow as to stall it out. It is a type of 'load managed, engine power control.' The effect is to eliminate pumping losses caused by a partially closed throttle plate.

Transition Between Normal and Re-Circulate Mode

The following data was captured from a Graham miniscanner and shows the transition from 'normal' mode, used for higher power operations. For example, acceleration and hill climbing are high-power, normal modes of operation. But once the target speed is achieved, the car transitions to "energy re-circulate mode."

Optimum System Efficiency

As the Toyota engineers pointed out, optimum system efficiency requires balance and tradeoffs. Sometimes one part has to operate in what appears to be a less efficient mode so another part can perform at peak efficiency. It is the total system performance that is important.

Example of Regeneration

One of the better ways to see regeneration in action is to descend a hill and put the transaxle in "B". Upon entry to the hill at 65 mph, the transaxle was put in "B". The battery was at a nominal 60% charge and quickly reached 80%. Thereafter, no further changing could occur and the rest of the braking was from spinning the engine.

Climbing The Hill

To drain the battery from a nominal 60% down to 40%, drive up a hill at high speed. In this case, there was a small 'leveling' when the vehicle attempted to transit to "re-circulate" mode. Then the hill climb continued.

Hopefully, this makes things a little clearer.

About Efficiency

Dept. of Energy measurements indicate MG1 and MG2 typically have 95% efficiency as either a generator or motor. Switching power supplies typically achieve better than 90% efficiency. So though there are electrical losses, they are fairly modest, especially considering only a fraction of the power passes through this path.

As for mechanical losses, this remains an area of investigation. Some claim that each gear stage is only 95% efficient. This is not something I have direct knowledge of so I'll leave it unchallenged.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 03-06-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Introduction to Prius Power

Totally cleared things up for me.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:32 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Hey Bob, could you explain Einstein's Theory of Relativity while you're at it?

Thanks!

Harry

Old 03-05-2007, 05:57 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Introduction to Prius Power

Originally Posted by Earthling
Hey Bob, could you explain Einstein's Theory of Relativity while you're at it?
Yes but it requires several pounds of silly putty, a set of sharpies, a metric ruler, three marbles and three ball bearings of the same size . . . and six beers, each. We start by making three complete, working versions of the Universe. For example:

For extra credit, spot the Tardis.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 03-05-2007 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Thanks Bob. I'm collecting the required supplies (including extra beer) and heading your way.....I'll be driving with the headlights on part of the time, will the light be traveling at "c" or "c" plus the vehicle speed? Please wait till I've had time to drink a few cold ones before answering....

Last edited by lakedude; 03-06-2007 at 11:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-06-2007, 11:36 AM

Are you sure that the Prius isn't using magic somehow?

Those Guinness guys should strike up a conversation about HSD..."Brilliant"!

Old 03-06-2007, 11:42 AM

I wonder how those smart engineers discovered "heretical" mode. Did they know in advance that they would get an overdrive affect (effect?) or did someone hook something up backward by mistake?

Old 03-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Enthusiast

New to the forum...I'm seriously thinking of purchasing a Prius..everything I've read about it is terrific except one thing...I need to know how's the pick up on this car...reason is..I happen to live in a hilly area and there's one particular stretch of CA 101 that is a long uphill climb and I 've owned cars which just crawl up this hill and the one I currently own a Volvo V70 GLT just flies up the hill . I understand that the Prius is a fdifferent sort of animal but what am I to expect in this situation?

Thanks for what ever info you can lend.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:48 AM

I've always found Graham's site very helpful in understanding HSD:

http://www.ecrostech.com/prius/original/PriusFrames.htm

Have you seen it?

Old 03-06-2007, 11:52 AM

bsnatch

The Prius is not a fast or powerful car. It does have a lot of torque available from the motors at low speed but it is only a 74hp car. The Civic is no better in the power department. Both cars will do better while the battery has a charge but if the hill is long enough the battery will peter out and you will be crawling.

Quick Reply: Introduction to Prius Power

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands