Liberty's buy-back...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 07:38 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Liberty's buy-back...

Yesterday, I got a letter from Liberty Toyota, where I got my Prius. They want to buy my 04 Prius and are offering $1k over the NAPA loan amount. They'll also give me high incentives on any 05 Toyota car.

It's obvious demand is extremely high. I could probably get a lot more $$ on ebay but why would I bother selling my Prius?

People were snapping up gas guzzlers up til this year. Now they won't even be able to get rid of their gas guzzlers.

Looking 5 years into the future, assuming gas prices never go back down, I gotta wonder what'll happen to the gas guzzlers. No one would buy em and dealers probably wouldn't trade for em. I can imagine a market for converting guzzlers into hybrids might flourish if it were possible to swap engines.

Old 04-22-2005, 04:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Liberty's buy-back...

Some of the suv's might make pretty good looking fish tanks.

Infael, if you also have the extra airbags, I believe it is a package '7'. I only know, because that was my preference, even though I ended up with a '9' in order to cut down wait time.

Old 04-22-2005, 05:29 PM
Prius <3r

I'd be willing to entertain offers on my new Prius (2 weeks old) if I knew that I could get a few thousand profit, as long as I can turn around and buy another one right away. Otherwise, I'm happy I bought when I did. Even though, they're seemingly plentiful now.

Old 04-23-2005, 05:13 PM
Prius <3r

The SUV's may not disappear, but they will be assimilated eventually. Resistance is futile, especially when you can tow something and get good gas mileage, like the new SUV hybrids promise.

Old 04-23-2005, 05:18 PM
Hypermiler

I have gotten offers to trade in a two year old or so vehicle from every lot I bought a new car from. They just want to sell you another one.

Old 04-24-2005, 06:42 PM
Prius <3r

I don't think it's that so much as they've found suckers who are willing to pay above sticker right now. In California, where I'm sure something like 70% of Priuses reside they've become quite hard to come by, and in the Bay Area they're marking them up I've heard as much as $5000, so I'm sure as long as there is some fool willing to pay a whole bunch for a car, there's some jerky salesman willing to sell it.

Old 04-25-2005, 09:18 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

[QUOTE=lessevildave
On the flip side, there may be something more to the buy-back than Toyota is letting on about. Perhaps a bad batch of batteries or other components that they'd like to 'get around' the new car warranty by turning it around 'USED' almost immediately with limited coverage.[/QUOTE]

I truly wonder why you are on here! A bad batch of batteries? Why not just recall, cheaper to replace a few batteries than to buy back total vehicles! Also if a vehicle is still under factory warranty, it transfers. Try again! Kevin

Old 05-16-2005, 10:21 AM
Enthusiast

texashchman,
Am I missing something? Granted I don't spend much time here at GH.com, but where did that quote come from? Did the original poster pull the post?

About the buy-back thing:
I agree with Jeff. If they can convince you to trade in you existing car for a new car, they will get all kinds of manufacturer's incentives and things. And once they make a "buy back" (interpret that as "trade in") offer and dangle a new fancy car in front of you, it's probably a little tempting. Especially if their used cars are selling well.

I would never sell back my Prius. Some might claim that it would be stupid to turn down a profit, but I'm not Ferengi so leave me alone Nog! I waited 220+ days for Priapus and he's been good to me. Get in line and wait your turn.

Old 05-16-2005, 11:05 AM
A Little Green

I agree with JeffKinTN. I get these all the time for any car I ever bought (even long after I sold it).

I file it in the recycle bin, right next to those too frequent reminders that my warranty "may or may not have expired." Thanks for clearing that up and offering to take my money!