Prius HID + foglamps aftermarket upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 01:52 PM
Enthusiast
Default Prius HID + foglamps aftermarket upgrade

We really don't like being forced to buy a lot of options that are no use to us, but want brighter lighting for my wife. So we are thinking of getting a package #4 and then adding foglamps and upgrading the headlamps.

Can one do an aftermarket upgrad to xenon HID headlamps for the Prius, or does this have to be done by the factory so that the wiring is upgraded, etc. Is the wiring for the foglamps already in place even if the car was ordered without this option?

Thanks, Will

PS:
Does anyone else not like the tiered pricing scheme? We almost went with the Civic it bugged us so much .

Old 01-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Prius HID + foglamps aftermarket upgrade

Originally Posted by BeGreen
PS:
Does anyone else not like the tiered pricing scheme? We almost went with the Civic it bugged us so much .
THe only thing to note about the Civic is that most of the things are either not available at all (aside from fog lamps of course) on the civic or comes standard. Given tiered options or no options, I choose tiered options. The Prius has as much add-ons called 'accessories' on the toyota site and from the dealer as does the civic.

I personally don't think the HID lights are that bright.

Old 01-13-2006, 02:46 PM
My Wife's car but my toy!

Begreen,

Going to HID lights does require additional wiring be done. I have not seen the Prius set up but I have helped to put them in other vehicles. No to hijack your thread just a little.

Speaking of headlights and wiring. Is the wiring there for the auto headlights even though I did not get that option? Can I pick up a new light switch stalk with the auto position and plug it in? It looks like the sensor is in place on the dash where the manual shows it should be.

Old 01-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Going the HID route after the fact can be costly if done right. A lot of kits out there do not include the housing that the light must go in. So people end up using the housing that the halogen light was in. This is a bad idea on many levels.

If you go the HID route, make sure to include the cost of getting the lamp housing to accommodate the HID light.

As for those that don't think HID make the difference, I suggest you drive a car with them, and then make the same statement. They are night and day in comparison, IMO.

Old 01-13-2006, 03:20 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by priuslover
THe only thing to note about the Civic is that most of the things are either not available at all (aside from fog lamps of course) on the civic or comes standard. Given tiered options or no options, I choose tiered options. The Prius has as much add-ons called 'accessories' on the toyota site and from the dealer as does the civic.

I personally don't think the HID lights are that bright.
Yes, you are right, though the 2006 HCH is pretty well equipped. I've read that the fog lamps are not that bright, and that some people are updating them. But had not heard that the main HID lights are not that bright.

So I guess I'm back to the orig. question, is the wiring already in place for the foglamps and is the headlamp wire guage heavy enough to update them with aftermarket xenon bulbs.

Old 01-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Enthusiast

Actually, it looks like this just got covered, except for the foglights question. It appears that if I want HID, I'm forced to get a bluetooth phone option, and a garage opener etc. when I don't even own these items. Oh, but I get more airbags than the mars rover had to land with thrown in. That's why I don't like tiered pricing.

Old 01-13-2006, 03:39 PM
Enthusiast

Thank for the info Livvie. That was my concern. Do you know if the wiring for the foglights is already in place on all models even if not ordered?

Old 01-13-2006, 03:40 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mg48
Speaking of headlights and wiring. Is the wiring there for the auto headlights even though I did not get that option? Can I pick up a new light switch stalk with the auto position and plug it in? It looks like the sensor is in place on the dash where the manual shows it should be.
I think all HID equiped cars lose the automatic headlights. Something to do with the on/off not being good for the balasts etc. If it was a one time on/off it wouldn't be as bad, but the posibility of it clicking on/off/on/off when driving in and out of tunnels, shadows etc is too much. That's what I've heard at least. Could be nonsense.

Old 01-13-2006, 11:10 PM
Engineering first

. . . is the headlamp wire guage heavy enough to update them with aftermarket xenon bulbs.
Check the fuses which protect the wire. In our 03 Prius, the head lamp fuses are 10 A. See if you can find someone with the 06 "Electrical Wiring Diagram" to be sure.

Bob Wilson

Old 01-14-2006, 06:48 AM
Automania Enthusiast

Yes, you are right, though the 2006 HCH is pretty well equipped. I've read that the fog lamps are not that bright, and that some people are updating them. But had not heard that the main HID lights are not that bright.

So I guess I'm back to the orig. question, is the wiring already in place for the foglamps and is the headlamp wire guage heavy enough to update them with aftermarket xenon bulbs.
The wiring isn't any heavier for HID's. The voltage comes from the ballast you use to run them. The wife has the HID's on her Prius and never had them before... she loves them and can see now why I loved them so much when I had them and miss them so much now. They are NOT an option on the Highalnder Hybrid So I am looking at an aftermarket company that adds projectors to the existing housing. http://www.illusion-lighting.com/

Quick Reply: Prius HID + foglamps aftermarket upgrade

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands