Prius Simulator

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 12:24 PM
Banned
Default Prius Simulator

Some of you might have heard of this Prius simulator game.

It's fun, although someone pointed out it could be made a little more realistic. Maybe the author will correct the code and put 24 teeth - not 23 in the plantary gear.

Anyway, I wonder what Prius drivers will think of this game - does it "get it"?

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 10-24-2006 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:33 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Prius Simulator

Hi,
Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Some of you might have heard of this Prius simulator game.

It's fun, although someone pointed out it could be made a little more realistic. Maybe the author will correct the code and put 24 teeth - not 23 in the plantary gear.

Anyway, I wonder what Prius drivers will think of this game - does it "get it"?
This is one of several I've seen in the past but I'd like to share some facts and data and suggest you see what happens when the simulator is put at these node points:

1) NHW11
- Maximum MG1 RPM: 6,500 rpm
- Ordinary ICE idle RPM: 950-1,200 rpm

2) NHW20
- Maximum MG1 RPM: 10,000 rpm
- same ordinary ICE range

Then notice the curious inflection points in these measured MPG vs MPG data:

You'll notice the NHW11 MPG takes a significant hit at 70 mph. The model shows that at 71 mph, the ICE (engine) has to spin faster than 1,200 rpm, the high end of ICE idle. This makes sense by suggesting that above 70 mph, an 01-03 Prius will have to work the engine harder all of the time to avoid over-spinning MG1 (generator).

You'll also notice the NHW20 MPG takes a hit between 85 and 90 mph. The model shows this also corresponds to 88 mph, the limit of when the NHW20 has to run the ICE faster than idle to avoid over-spinning MG1 (generator).

We already knew that the ICE has to run all of the time above 42 mph to prevent MG1 over-reving. Clearly, this also corresponds to a change in the control laws and a dip in MPG.

So this and other models are fairly accurate and the transistion points are consistent with inflection points in MPG. The key to good Prius performance is to avoid these 'bad MPG' areas and keep in the efficient areas as much as possible.

LATE CORRECTION: I tried to use the gas pedal mode and set it for 31 MPH. It slowly charged the battery to 80% and then continued to run the ICE with no change. It never went into ICE auto-shutdown and coasted on battery! A real Prius would have long since shutdown the ICE and used battery charge to maintain speed. As such, I can't endorse the current 'drive mode' of the simulator. However, the gears are accurate.

I also notice it has the profile and shares some characteristics with an NHW11 Prius.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 10-24-2006 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Bob,

Really crude experiment, 52/50 psi, cc set and left at 24 mph, 1.3 mile circurlar loop, no stops for 15 minutes. The car had been running for an hour and a half before I started this. I had three 85ish mpg bars on the consumption screen. I was suprised by this and more surprised that the cc worked at 24 mph.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 10-24-2006, 06:28 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by VaBeachPrius
Really crude experiment, 52/50 psi, cc set and left at 24 mph, 1.3 mile circurlar loop, no stops for 15 minutes. The car had been running for an hour and a half before I started this. I had three 85ish mpg bars on the consumption screen. I was suprised by this and more surprised that the cc worked at 24 mph. . . .
Hummmm, 85ish mpg bars. Another approach would be to use differential MPG and the trip meter. But what really surprised me:

"1.3 mile circurlar loop"

This is perfect for benchmarking Prius or any hybrid performance. Is this something 'open to the public' or is access more restricted? I'd be happy to discuss it via PM.

BTW, what is your oil level?

Bob Wilson

Old 10-24-2006, 06:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

There is a large neighborhood near my house. I was killing time waiting for my wife to come home and I found it on the prius nav map. It is a 25 mph speed limit loop, hench the lower speeds. I might not be able to do 31 mph as there are cars on the sides of the road. I am still searching for a better area.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Oil is full. Conventional. I am going to change to synthetic this weekend. The temperatures are changing wildly here. The car is new. It might be interesting to pick a speed try it with conventional oil; go home change the oil; re-test. There are a lot of variable that need to be controlled.

Chris

Old 10-24-2006, 06:55 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Maybe the author will correct the code and put 24 teeth - not 23 in the plantary gear.
The plantary gear is 23 teeth.
http://prius.ecrostech.com/original/...plitDevice.htm

Ken@Japan

Old 10-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by VaBeachPrius
There is a large neighborhood near my house. I was killing time waiting for my wife to come home and I found it on the prius nav map. It is a 25 mph speed limit loop, hench the lower speeds. I might not be able to do 31 mph as there are cars on the sides of the road. I am still searching for a better area. . . .
<SLAP aside the head!>

I wished I'd thought of that! I had looked at my local neighborhood but it has too many 90 degree intersections. I hadn't thought about checking some of the more 'yuppie' neighborhoods.

Bob Wilson

Old 10-28-2006, 06:46 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thanks for posting this, that "game" is really awesome. I love the "Driving Mode" pressing the Accel and watching everything sort itself out! The numbers aren't entirely accurate, especially for the newer Prius (10000rpm max on the Generator not 5000...), but it's really cool to watch for example the engine turned over by the generator, bravo.

Old 10-28-2006, 02:24 PM
04 prius 350,000km

just for the record for the game my best was 74 mpg, another forum member managed to go all the way till the prius ran out of gas and scored 76 with 800 miles to the tank. The key here is to use pulse and glide and avoid forced charging of the battery.

Heh lucky I got the real thing parked in my garage although i'm still waiting on my Graham miniscanner.

for the record this car is based on the 97-00 prius released in japan.