switch and cabin lighting

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 10:33 PM
My Wife's car but my toy!
Default switch and cabin lighting

Am I the only one fumbling for the lock and window buttons in the dark? I only have one lighted switch on the drivers door. Is everyone's like this? I also don't like the lack of entry lighting. I think I'm goning to have to add some LEDs in the cabin to brighten it up for entry and exit.

Old 12-19-2005, 07:19 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: switch and cabin lighting

I've no problem finding switches by feel. You just have to know the positioning and shapes of the switches. Each switch has a different shape.

Old 12-19-2005, 03:24 PM

I'm also thinking of a easy wiring mod so that both of the reading lights come on w/ the entry light.

Old 12-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

What kind of auxiliary entry lighting are you looking for? Or maybe the question is where do you want more lighting?

With Smart Key the vehicle will illuminate as you approach, both providing light and indicating that the vehicle recognizes you and that it is ready to unlock when you touch the pad on the handle. When you get in the lights should stay on for a moment, at least until you power on the vehicle. When you turn off the car the lights should also come up and give you illumination and will turn off when you lock the vehicle, or after a specified period of time.

If you don't have Smart Key I believe that when you unlock the vehicle with the fob it will illuminate the cabin, and then when you insert the key in the slot and start the vehicle it will turn off the lights at that time. I also believe that when you turn off a vehicle without SmartKey the lights behave the same, the vehicle turns off, but the lights come up and then the lights will turn off again when you lock the vehicle with the fob.

As for button lighting, Toyota doesn't actively illuminate their window or lock switches on their regular line of vehicles. However they are very tactile and easy to identify once you are used to them. I find that the pull up/push down nature of the window switches is very intuitive, much more so than rocker style switches.

Before you start grafting lights to the vehicle start by getting a good solid feel for the switches and their placement. Car interiors are designed to be tactile because the designers don't really want you looking down from the road to adjust a window or turn on the lights.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:25 PM

I have the smart key entry system but it only lights the center over head entry light when it is set to door and the light on the bottom of the door. I think that a light down by the foot wells is common in most cars. I also might like to add some lights for the back seats as well probably coming out of the back of the console or from under the bacck of the front seats. I don't want someone getting in and stepping on something that was left on the floor in the back or front. I will probably run some LEDs down by the floor because of the low power draw and the brite white color vs the yellow of the candescent bulbs. And in the hatch area all I see is a manual side light on the left side. I think you have to turn it on after opening the hatch in the dark. Maybe it is can be auto like the main enty light but I have not looked at it much. Either way more light is needed in the back. Some LEDs on the hatch so the light comes from up above would be best to light up the entire cargo area no matter what you have loaded in the back. If the side light is covered by a box then your in the dark for loading anything else. I think I noticed I could not even see inside the little left hand corner compartment in the hatch because it is behind the light.

Depending on how hard it would be I would like to put some LEDs on the bottom of the side view mirrors for when you approach and the entry light comes on but you have not opened the door yet.

All just ideas. If anyone had done some lighting mods please let me know how you did it. I will definitely post any mods I do.

Last edited by mg48; 12-21-2005 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:56 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mg48
I have the smart key entry system but it only lights the center over head entry light when it is set to door and the light on the bottom of the door. I think that a light down by the foot wells is common in most cars. I also might like to add some lights for the back seats as well probably coming out of the back of the console or from under the bacck of the front seats. I don't want someone getting in and stepping on something that was left on the floor in the back or front. I will probably run some LEDs down by the floor because of the low power draw and the brite white color vs the yellow of the candescent bulbs. And in the hatch area all I see is a manual side light on the left side. I think you have to turn it on after opening the hatch in the dark. Maybe it is can be auto like the main enty light but I have not looked at it much. Either way more light is needed in the back. Some LEDs on the hatch so the light comes from up above would be best to light up the entire cargo area no matter what you have loaded in the back. If the side light is covered by a box then your in the dark for loading anything else. I think I noticed I could not even see inside the little left hand corner compartment in the hatch because it is behind the light.

Depending on how hard it would be I would like to put some LEDs on the bottom of the side view mirrors for when you approach and the entry light comes on but you have not opened the door yet.

All just ideas. If anyone had done some lighting mods please let me know how you did it. I will definitely post any mods I do.
Like a lot of cars out there, the dome lamps (there is one over the back seat passengers) are designed to be independantly switchable, so you can cancel them if you plan on having the doors open a long time, or if you want a more private entry into the car, say as in a parking lot at night. By not having the car's dome lamps come on when you approach the car or unlock it remotely, then you attract less atention. I can see this as a security enhancement. No need to draw attention to yourself as you get in your car.

The rear cargo lamp does have a manual off switch, but left in the on position that lamp comes on when you open the rear gate. You would only use the switch manually if you wanted to turn it off while the hatch is open. With the hatch open the interior cabin lights also iluminate.

Footwell lights are something that is usually only found on luxury cars right now. I'm not familiar with too many mass production vehicles right now that have footwell lighting.

Any additional lights you put in the vehicle will require a tap to a hot lead from under the dash at one of the numerous network and power interfaces. I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable doing that to my new baby.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by JeromeP
Like a lot of cars out there, the dome lamps (there is one over the back seat passengers) are designed to be independantly switchable, so you can cancel them if you plan on having the doors open a long time, or if you want a more private entry into the car, say as in a parking lot at night. By not having the car's dome lamps come on when you approach the car or unlock it remotely, then you attract less atention. I can see this as a security enhancement. No need to draw attention to yourself as you get in your car.

The rear cargo lamp does have a manual off switch, but left in the on position that lamp comes on when you open the rear gate. You would only use the switch manually if you wanted to turn it off while the hatch is open. With the hatch open the interior cabin lights also iluminate.

Footwell lights are something that is usually only found on luxury cars right now. I'm not familiar with too many mass production vehicles right now that have footwell lighting.

Any additional lights you put in the vehicle will require a tap to a hot lead from under the dash at one of the numerous network and power interfaces. I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable doing that to my new baby.
Just the info I needed. I had not noticed the back ceiling light because it was in the off position and I've been upfront learning the other stuff

I did not know how the cargo sw worked either. I still want more light back there so I'll see what else I can come up with.

I told my Wife this IS a LUXURY car. So I better start adding features! She wanted a Lexus. I told her if you drive this car until the loan was paid off Lexus would have a hybrid worth buying. Sorry RX Owners

Your info is much appreciated!