Two weeks old 2006 Prius only runs 40MPG

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 11:52 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Two weeks old 2006 Prius only runs 40MPG

Originally Posted by quagmire0
<snip>

We filled up again this Saturday and then went on a road trip - about 250 miles roundtrip and mostly highway driving. I drove, and brought the MPG all the way down to 40mpg. I was going about 80mph most of the way (also hit 100 at one point just to see the digital readout hit triple digits )

So really, it all depends on your route and driving style. Still, I must say, going 80mph and getting 40mpg is really good. I'm sure my Honda would probably have only given me 27-30 in optimal conditions.
did anyone notice the MPGs at 100 MPH??

Old 10-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

For fuel economy, after the list that Bob W posted in page 1 of this thread are seen to, confirm that neither the rear brake shoes nor the parking brakes are dragging. It happens, sometimes.

DAS

Old 10-16-2006, 09:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tochatihu
For fuel economy, after the list that Bob W posted in page 1 of this thread are seen to, confirm that neither the rear brake shoes nor the parking brakes are dragging. It happens, sometimes.

DAS
and nobody sent you out with lower than standard tire pressure "so that it doesn't ride too harsh.."

and keep the windows closed, too. opening them increases aerodynamic drag a lot.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:17 AM

I've always wondered what the real impact is of the windows being open as you move from 0mph to say, 60. If you're driving over 60 with them open... well, why did you buy a fuel-efficient car? And Mythbusters did a good job proving anything in that range windows down is far worse on fuel economy than running the AC. But what about in the lower range? If I'm pulsing and gliding traffic light to traffic light below 40mph, where is the free wind at 0mph coming in my window no longer more efficient than the cost of running the AC under my hood?

Old 10-17-2006, 07:54 PM
Enthusiast

Hello..

My car is about 3 weeks old (915 miles) still remain 53.5 MPG driving in and out of town long distance, 5-6 miles on I-95 every other day. When we went to Kissimmee, we made 54.1 MPG on I-4 and I-95.

Reeducate yourself by looking on Energy and Consumption screen. This will help you to observe how you drive your car, adjust the way you drive, light touch, pulse and glide, heavy on gas or on break and so on. I learn from that too.

I join this forum using pulse and glide as many Prius fan advised.
I would say that I prefer light touch to accerelate and light touch on break..always. This will help a lot.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:16 PM

You might also try learning on slightly hilly terrain. It removes any guess work about when to use the gas, and when to get the gas engine to shut off. It lets you just practice getting the gas engine revved high enough to max efficiency (1500rpm or better.. you can hear it, the lowest sound is 1000rpm - you don't want that) on uphills and turning it off and engaging coast on downhills (easy to listen for, or check the arrows on the dash - there shouldn't be any).

Old 10-18-2006, 07:12 AM
Enthusiast

Hi.. Thank for your advice. I'll try that. Here around St. Augustine, we do not have uphill downhill terrain but we might go to Ocala area soon. WE can try that.

From 3 weeks using our Prius, I learn how to drive FLAT, I don't know how to call it properly. My FLAT stage means there is no energy flow from either one of them (Baterry, Electric motor and regular motor). From this standpoint, I could get GREENCARS show on the graphic display which tell me that I'm doing good in energy saving and driving conditions.

This is how I educate myself in driving hybrid car like Prius.